Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can precuts be different sizes? >

How can precuts be different sizes?

How can precuts be different sizes?

Old 08-14-2017, 03:57 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I especially was interested in the "how do they cut them" when a factory makes up the pre-cuts. I'll search for that video. Thought there would be more of a "no error" method that would eliminate such differences.

I love the continuity of fabric line going together nicely in a project. The pre-cut packs eliminate the oopsies of choosing a fabric that just wasn't right with the rest. The downside I've found is those couple of "unfortunate choices" that just don't appeal to me.

I love the time saving feature of pre-cuts and find many ideas that I love to use them for (mostly from Jenny Doan).
Old 08-14-2017, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

That is why I stopped buying them. I have some that my sister gave me, but they are in the scrap box. I no longer trust them to be the size I need.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:25 AM

You would think they would be the same cut, but not so. I just finished a quilt and used a layer cake and charms, had to resize all. I really don't like the pinked edges anyway.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:36 AM

I had the same problem with a Kaffe Fassett layer cake that I bought from a Louisiana vendor at a quilt show. Some of the pieces were as much as 1/2" off and bowed. When I contacted the vendor via email I received no response at all, but when I contacted the manufacturer (Rowan Fabrics) they were exceptionally helpful and replaced the entire layer cake at no charge.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:41 AM

I've had way more trouble with fat qtrs than I ever had with precuts. Some precuts are done by the retailer and not the factory.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. I have the same problem except I started to make something without measuring the little darlings. So here they are now....and now what do I do with them. Ideas are welcome.[ATTACH=CONFIG]578823[/ATTACH]I had sewed 4 strips together, I think for a bargello. I had 4 left over when I discovered that they are all over the board. Some sets are 3/4 of an inch off.

Marcia
I use any strips that are not accurate for STRING quilts. I have many strips I cut that the edges are raveled, so string quilts are a very good way to use them up.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:28 AM

I have found the same to be true with charm packs...I have a quick and easy baby quilt pattern by Doug Leko that is my go to and it uses a charm pack but often they are not all 5" square. I usually end up having to trim them.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:57 AM

Had the same problem with charms. Ended up recutting almost half of a package with my GoBaby so they would all be the same size. But I love precuts because I cannot cut straight - even with a ruler - and to cut yardage on a GoBaby wastes so much fabric AND you get such great variety with those charm packs. Now jelly rolls ARE a pain when they are not cut uniformly - and I have bought them from places where I felt that would not be a problem - but it was!
Old 08-15-2017, 04:04 AM

I did buy some precut squares one time. They were all a little different in size. All precuts are not created equal. I use my go now, no precuts, it is more cost effective for me to make my own cuts. When our LQS was open, theirs were pretty even. Miss them!
Old 08-15-2017, 04:13 AM

I love pre-cuts. I'll have to check carefully to make sure they're all the same size.