Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can precuts be different sizes? >

How can precuts be different sizes?

How can precuts be different sizes?

Old 08-15-2017, 04:58 AM

Don't knock ALL precuts. Some stores cut their own from oddments of fabric they have on hand. If you buy the name brands, Moda, Kaufman, etc. you should find them all the same size. I bought a pack of fat quarters from a LQS, and when I laid them out to use I found them so crooked I couldn't get a needed 18" piece from them. Then I learned they were cut in the store. I think the store managers give the employees "busy work" so they begrudgingly cut willy nilly.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:43 AM

I buy mostly pre cuts instead of yardage for making blocks. I haven't had a problem with using them. I don't buy store cut or home cut ones. I buy the brand name one so if there is a problem I can get a replacement. Read the label carefully, especially on batik pre cuts. Some will say may be irregularities in cuts.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:51 AM

This is one of the reasons I don't buy precuts, sorry you have this problem.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:13 AM

I've been only disappointed with precuts. We pay a huge amount for having the cutting done for us. Then when the precuts don't measure up, we have to buy yardage anyway. They are difficult to prewash, too, and I'm not fond of taking risks with such a big investment.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
That's why I don't buy pre-cuts.
Me neither. For some reason I dislike the idea of pre-cuts. To me, cutting precisely is part of the quilting process that I don't want to miss out on. I get so happy when I finish cutting all the pieces for an entire block or entire quilt even. Besides, yards of fabric makes me happy too.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. I have the same problem except I started to make something without measuring the little darlings. So here they are now....and now what do I do with them. Ideas are welcome.[ATTACH=CONFIG]578823[/ATTACH]I had sewed 4 strips together, I think for a bargello. I had 4 left over when I discovered that they are all over the board. Some sets are 3/4 of an inch off.

Marcia
you can continue the strata. then take the shortest measurement and subcut everything to that. then make a quilt by arranging the blocks every other direction across the rows.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:18 AM

I have purchased several cakes and charms because I hand applique and don't need much of the fabric. Until I sat down and figured the cost per yard! I don't purchase them anymore.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:47 PM

I think you are safe when buying ones that are precut by the manufacturer--if a vendor is cutting fabrics into "precuts" you may/may not actually get consistency. Manufacturer pre-cuts will have the manufacturer's label on it with a description.

I once bought a bundle of FQ from a show vendor--they were all short! 17 or 17.5 by 22. I was furious cause of course I didn't even look at the FQ until about 6 months later when getting ready for a mystery quilt.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:05 PM

I have experienced the same unevenness. It is very frustrating when you make your blocks and they don't fit together. I know now and I re cut about and eighth or qtr off before I start and adjust the pattern if possible. I never dreamed they would be uneven and I am careful what I do with precuts now.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:29 AM

I only buy those from Moda. They seem to be pretty consistent. I sew from the outside peak of the pinked edges.