Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How could I have make such silly mistakes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-could-i-have-make-such-silly-mistakes-t182672.html)

Buckeye Rose 03-13-2012 09:05 AM

How could I have make such silly mistakes?

I pulled out a quilt top that I made many, many months back and after spreading it out to see what I needed to finish, I was appalled at all the mistakes I made. If I had the time and ambition, I would have fixed some of them, but, the quilt is for a granddaughter who will never know they are there. So I sandwiched the quilt, fudged a bit on the quilting and am almost done. It is far from perfect, but she will use and abuse the poor thing. It just makes me wonder how could I have ever been so simple minded about quilting/sewing basics. Granted, I have learned so many great things from you wonderful fellow board members that I don't find near the mistakes I once did. It gives me great hope for the future. Thank you again, all of you!

Debbie C 03-13-2012 09:09 AM

That is how we learn - by making those mistakes and I'm sure your grand-daughter will learn to cherish this lovely gift from you. Keep practicing!! There's no quilt police in your house, I assure you!

Jingle 03-13-2012 10:30 AM

I have been quilting for a long, sewed clothing also and I can still make silly mistakes. I almost immediately see them and fix them but, I expect more of myself. We are always harder on ourselves.

hfw 03-13-2012 10:51 AM

You've got lots of company. I make the most hare-brained mistakes even when I think i'm paying attention.

--heidi

bearisgray 03-13-2012 11:16 AM

You did the best you could at the time with what you knew -

I am proud of you for learning so much - and recognizing where you can now do better. :D

valsma 03-13-2012 11:22 AM

I know how you feel, I have a couple quilt tops I just know when I take out i'm going to just shake my head at the mistakes.
It is wonderful though that your grandaughter is going to be able to love, use and abuse one that you made her. I'm sure she won't see mistakes that only another quilter might notice. I'm learning so much on this board and taking my time now from start to finish.

QuiltnNan 03-13-2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie C (Post 5056768)
That is how we learn - by making those mistakes and I'm sure your grand-daughter will learn to cherish this lovely gift from you. Keep practicing!! There's no quilt police in your house, I assure you!

ditto, we all started from not knowing how to quilt, or sew for that matter

mighty 03-13-2012 11:38 AM

Oh the dreaded mistakes, makes me want to turn my foot backwards and kick myself.

cad_queen_2000 03-13-2012 09:53 PM

i made a 4 patch that i really liked. i didn't notice that one of the patches was rotated by 90 degrees until i took a picture of it, and it jumped out at me. my sister said to leave it alone. she said every handmade quilt should have some character to it. i think i will leave it alone. lol

earthwalker 03-13-2012 10:01 PM

Just shows you've made progress! I treat every one of my quilting projects as a learning process....sometimes it is good to look back at the earlier ones to see how far I've come:) Couldn't have done half of it without this board and all the wonderful contributors.