Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How could I have make such silly mistakes?

How could I have make such silly mistakes?

I pulled out a quilt top that I made many, many months back and after spreading it out to see what I needed to finish, I was appalled at all the mistakes I made. If I had the time and ambition, I would have fixed some of them, but, the quilt is for a granddaughter who will never know they are there. So I sandwiched the quilt, fudged a bit on the quilting and am almost done. It is far from perfect, but she will use and abuse the poor thing. It just makes me wonder how could I have ever been so simple minded about quilting/sewing basics. Granted, I have learned so many great things from you wonderful fellow board members that I don't find near the mistakes I once did. It gives me great hope for the future. Thank you again, all of you!

That is how we learn - by making those mistakes and I'm sure your grand-daughter will learn to cherish this lovely gift from you. Keep practicing!! There's no quilt police in your house, I assure you!

I have been quilting for a long, sewed clothing also and I can still make silly mistakes. I almost immediately see them and fix them but, I expect more of myself. We are always harder on ourselves.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

hfw
    You've got lots of company. I make the most hare-brained mistakes even when I think i'm paying attention.

--heidi

Power Poster
    You did the best you could at the time with what you knew -

I am proud of you for learning so much - and recognizing where you can now do better.

I know how you feel, I have a couple quilt tops I just know when I take out i'm going to just shake my head at the mistakes.
    It is wonderful though that your grandaughter is going to be able to love, use and abuse one that you made her. I'm sure she won't see mistakes that only another quilter might notice. I'm learning so much on this board and taking my time now from start to finish.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
    That is how we learn - by making those mistakes and I'm sure your grand-daughter will learn to cherish this lovely gift from you. Keep practicing!! There's no quilt police in your house, I assure you!
    ditto, we all started from not knowing how to quilt, or sew for that matter
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Oh the dreaded mistakes, makes me want to turn my foot backwards and kick myself.

i made a 4 patch that i really liked. i didn't notice that one of the patches was rotated by 90 degrees until i took a picture of it, and it jumped out at me. my sister said to leave it alone. she said every handmade quilt should have some character to it. i think i will leave it alone. lol

Just shows you've made progress! I treat every one of my quilting projects as a learning process....sometimes it is good to look back at the earlier ones to see how far I've come Couldn't have done half of it without this board and all the wonderful contributors.

I do the same thing with my needlepoint! There is a plastic canvas birth announcement that i did 20 yrs ago. it's hideous. I almost want to make another to replace it!

We had a bathroom retiled in Puerto Rico a few years back, and the craftmansship was amazing. But on the final inspection I noticed that a tile on the shower wall was upside down. When I pointed it out to the tiler, he smiled and told me (loose translation) that while he aimed for perfection, he always put in a deliberate error so as to not get too cocky! I loved it, and think about it whenever I make mistakes - the little imperfections show that it was made by loving, human hands!

Oh dont feel bad. i think i am the queen of making mistakes but i love to quilt.

When I was young, I remember reading about Persian rug makers and how, no matter the intricacy or richness of the rug, each one has a tiny flaw, because perfection belongs to the gods and should not be used by mere mortal men.

As long as I try to improve with each effort, that is good enough for me.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

On a quilt I once made--a very simple four patch alternating with nine patch blocks, I finished it, photographed it, gifted it and thought it was great. Months later, I looked at the picture again and lo and behold--one of the blocks was rotated 90 degrees! oh well.

Blog Entries
    You are so right earthwalker, it is so nice to be able to look back and see how far we have come. Love the growing experience. Even the most professional quilters will not point out there mistakes even though they are there.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    The last quilt I finished had a mistake in the flying geese border. I didn't see it until I saw the photograph after it was gifted. I wouldn't have fixed it after the FMQ and binding was done, so what is, is. Such is life.

Don't feel bad about your mistakes, we all make them. And NO ONE is born knowing how to quilt perfectly. Remember we learn from our mistakes. And oh how wonderful that your grandchild will use that quilt, love it and never notice those silly mistakes.
    Just keep quilting and enjoy it.

Kat

Everyone makes mistakes. I was making a simple potholder and didn't notice until I had it almost quilted that I turned a block 90*. The shameful part is that I gave it to a very talented quilter as a gift and I'm sure my mistake glared right at her. It has taught me to slow down and inspect my work before I start to quilt it.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Maybe someday in the future, someone will find your quilt and see your mistakes and think that they are olden days blocks and replicate them. They'll think they are something cool and exciting, not mistakes. Ha ha
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    As a secretary I would often not see a mistake in a letter or document I had typed, despite reading it through several times, it was only when the boss pointed it out, and sometimes he didn't see it either, I would spot it in the copy after I had posted the letter. I have done the same in a quilt. I noticed whilst I was hand quilting my son's wedding quilt that one of the 4" square was back to front. I had to put an applique over it. It is like looking in the cupboard and not seeing something that is staring you in the face. There must be a psychological answer to this strange phenomenon.

Me too but quilting is fun

Blog Entries
    Buckeye Rose, your granddaughter will love the quilt because you made it. She won't be looking for mistakes. I know, because I have quilts my GM and GGM made. I see the work and lovely stitches and think of them busy making the quilt. Your granddaughter will do the same. You are a treasure to her!

Ah...we are for sure our own worst critics. Funny... I've never ONCE had someone complain about a couple stitches out of place, or a point that was cut off or not matched well when I've given someone a quilt....lol

I always strive to do my best on any project, but unless it's a project headed for the county fair I do not let it upset me anymore. I got so ANAL I was turning my hobby into stress. I'm back to having fun again.

That quilt will be no less loved, nor any less warm with a couple boo-boos in it... : )
    "It's a *fine line* between HOBBY and MENTAL ILLNESS"~ Dave Barry

Blog Entries
    It's funny you posted this because I pulled out an unfinished top the other day and after looking at it to decide what to do next, I was appalled at the quality of work. When I said something to my husband he said that he remembers exacty when I was originally working on it and that was the first project I started after my eye surgery. We laughed and said I obviously needed more recovery time. I decided to go ahead and finish the quilt and use it as a utility quilt; but it definitely is also my humility quilt!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast