Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How could I have make such silly mistakes? >

How could I have make such silly mistakes?

How could I have make such silly mistakes?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:57 AM

As a secretary I would often not see a mistake in a letter or document I had typed, despite reading it through several times, it was only when the boss pointed it out, and sometimes he didn't see it either, I would spot it in the copy after I had posted the letter. I have done the same in a quilt. I noticed whilst I was hand quilting my son's wedding quilt that one of the 4" square was back to front. I had to put an applique over it. It is like looking in the cupboard and not seeing something that is staring you in the face. There must be a psychological answer to this strange phenomenon.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:09 AM

Me too but quilting is fun
Old 03-15-2012, 03:59 AM

Buckeye Rose, your granddaughter will love the quilt because you made it. She won't be looking for mistakes. I know, because I have quilts my GM and GGM made. I see the work and lovely stitches and think of them busy making the quilt. Your granddaughter will do the same. You are a treasure to her!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:47 AM

Ah...we are for sure our own worst critics. Funny... I've never ONCE had someone complain about a couple stitches out of place, or a point that was cut off or not matched well when I've given someone a quilt....lol

I always strive to do my best on any project, but unless it's a project headed for the county fair I do not let it upset me anymore. I got so ANAL I was turning my hobby into stress. I'm back to having fun again.

That quilt will be no less loved, nor any less warm with a couple boo-boos in it... : )
Old 03-15-2012, 05:28 AM

It's funny you posted this because I pulled out an unfinished top the other day and after looking at it to decide what to do next, I was appalled at the quality of work. When I said something to my husband he said that he remembers exacty when I was originally working on it and that was the first project I started after my eye surgery. We laughed and said I obviously needed more recovery time. I decided to go ahead and finish the quilt and use it as a utility quilt; but it definitely is also my humility quilt!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 AM

I think we often learn more from making mistakes than from always doing it right! It seasons us as quilters, and gives us wisdom us to share with others.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Isn't it great that you got to see some tangible evidence of how much you have learned and grown as a quilter? That in itself should make you feel good... )
Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 AM

I live by the rule:" take two steps backbards". Amazing how something that bothered you big time, disappears in the space of two feet. Alternatively, I justremove my glasses and life is softened by a very forgiving haze.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Dix

I had finished hand quilting one for a dear friend. Put the lable on and fold it to go when I noticed a large block that was only half cross hatched. I quickly fixed it and told myself she would probably never have noticed it, but I am glad I did!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:47 AM

You have lots of company here!! I recently made a quilt that I was proud of, My DH liked it very much and said so (!) Well, while it looked very nicely sewn together with matching corners, etc, it didn't quilt that way. No amount of basting seemed to help. As I quilted it, I had more and more ripples and wrinkles than I could even imagine. It did not want to be quilted. So, I'll be frog stitching for quilte ahwile --rip it, rip it.