Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How did you learn to use a thimble? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-did-you-learn-use-thimble-t226203.html)

sweetpea 07-20-2013 05:06 PM

It is all my mother-in-laws doing She taught me quilt and she said you have to use a thimble. it do not take long for me to see that she was right. boy I miss her I hope she would be happy with my quilting now. I'm sure that she had to token out what I put in when I first started .

Tartan 07-20-2013 05:40 PM

The only way to load my needle in hand quilting, is to use a thimble. Embedding the thread end of the needle under my fingernail taught me very quickly to use my thimble.

DebraK 07-20-2013 05:47 PM

owww!I hate it when that happens!

QuiltE 07-20-2013 05:51 PM

I still haven't learned how.
I've tried numerous times and nothing seems comfortable.

I think I need a tutorial! :)

Petalpatsy 07-20-2013 07:08 PM

I started off with layers of electrical tape for a thimble and wore it everywhere all day long. It's a compromise between no thimble and a metal thimble, and the tape sticks to your nail so it won't come off.

Nammie to 7 07-20-2013 07:13 PM

When I started using a thimble I very carefully held that finger up out of the way as I was sewing. Finally I started actually using the thimble as I was sewing. Now I like using one. I took a quilting class using the two thimble method- I really like doing that method.!

roselady 07-20-2013 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas (Post 6187607)
I made up my mind...I'm a doc and couldn't run the risk of loss of fingertip sensation. I put a thimble on and wore it 24/7 until. It didn't feel weird anymore.

I found what I think is the lightest, most natural feeling thimble, the "Nimble Thimble", and wore it until it felt "normal". It is a small black leather with a metal disk in the end and an opening for your fingernail. After wearing that one and getting used to it, I have gone on to tougher ones, but it is a great beginner thimble.

justflyingin 07-20-2013 10:14 PM

I just kept trying. The holes in the end of my finger made it a requirement. Finally finding one small enough to stay on the end of my finger helped. Of course, just reshaping one that is too big helps too.

There was no "magic" formula for me. I just kept putting it on and making myself use it.

I don't hand quilt, but this was when I was doing binding by hand.

Jan in VA 07-20-2013 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After trying nearly every thimble on the market 15 years ago, I finally found a thin black leather thimble from Nimble Thimble. I wore it around the house for several days, as much as I could, until I quilt worrying with it like a dog with a new bone. That's how I learned. :o

(Now I don't wear one because I have so much nerve damage that I can hardly feel the needle in my hand at all, to hold or to poke myself. Sorry, Holice, had to say it! ;))

Jan in VA

d.rickman 07-20-2013 11:23 PM

I must have 20+ thimbles, but the one I prefer to use, is sterling silver, which I had fitted by my dad the jeweller, many years ago, it is a little worn however it still works and is very comfortable to wear, sometimes forget I'm wearing it.