Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How did you learn to use a thimble? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-did-you-learn-use-thimble-t226203.html)

patchsamkim 07-21-2013 01:31 PM

I have never been able to learn how to use a rigid thimble, whether plastic or metal. I do though use a leather thimble...actually goatskin and that works great for me.

leaha 07-21-2013 02:36 PM

I tried several thimbles before I found the one I really like, has ring or ridge on top so needle does not slip off, to get used to it I wore it all day for several days till it just felt natural, also I wet finger before putting it on, makes it really stay in place for me. I had never used a thimble for sewing dfor many many years as just made my cloths, but when I starting quilting it became a must use!

FroggyinTexas 07-21-2013 03:59 PM

Mama gave me a thimble that she padded on the inside so it would fit and then turned me loose to do cutwork embroidery, which I did for hours each day because I so loved doing it. froggyintexas

quilt1950 07-21-2013 04:02 PM

I've been sewing for over 50 years, and don't remember not using a thimble. Surely when I was 10 the thimble was too big, but I don't remember that. I n.e.v.e.r. use a sewing needle without a thimble.

delma_paulk 07-21-2013 04:52 PM

Ilearned after our burned down, with my sewing machine and I had to adjust donated clothing for my children to wear to school. Also, I handsewed patches in my husband's boxer shorts at this time also. Also had a new baby and all her clothes were burned and had to make more for her and a toddler, a 4 and 5 yr old.

When you poke enough holes in that finger and it hurts so badly, you will learn quickly! God has blessed us since then and we have had a good life and marriage.......still using that thimble when I had sew.

delma

Holice 07-22-2013 02:34 AM

This is great discussion and information. My thanks to all who have posted their experience.

Vat 07-22-2013 04:21 AM

I don't use one but I do know that if you just put it on and wear it, you will eventually start using it.

nanna-up-north 07-22-2013 04:28 AM

I can't remember when I didn't use a thimble.... don't know if that's old age or I started so young that I don't remember it. I have lots of thimbles...... seem to find them in every sewing box I get at an estate sale or auction. But, I've gotten to love the leather one with a metal 'coin' on it. I've had to buy a couple since the first because they too will wear out.

supergma 07-22-2013 05:14 AM

I spent the summer with my aunt when I was six years old. She taught me how to do embroidery, and how to use a thimble. She bought the smallest thimble she could and wrapped a cloth strip around my finger to hold it on. I still have that thimble. And, I am now 76 years old.

IowaStitcher 07-22-2013 05:14 AM

I think it is like the classic "how do you get to Carnegie Hall?"......... practice, practice, practice.