Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do draw a design onto your quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-draw-design-onto-your-quilt-t59485.html)

annabanana 08-15-2010 08:04 AM

Hey everyone! I'm curious how you transfer or draw a desing onto your quilt. Do you use a stencil? How about if you've printed something off the computer; how do you acutally get the design on the quilt? Does tracing work? And with what?

I've seen some amazing designs on quilt that people have free motioned and i'm thinking i would need a design to follow.
any help would be great!
a

littlehud 08-15-2010 08:14 AM

I usually use a stencil but have been known to draw it on tissue paper and pin that to the quilt.

Scissor Queen 08-15-2010 08:16 AM

You can also use Gladwrap Press and Seal. It'll stick to whatever you want to trace and then it'll stick to the quilt. After you're through quilting you just peel it back off the quilt.

Emma S 08-15-2010 08:35 AM

Scissor Queen, what an amazing idea! I have to try it, seems it would be much better than paper, not as stiff.

Bobbielinks 08-15-2010 10:12 AM

When I first started quilting I would draw my quilting motif on paper cut to the size of the quilt block. Then I would remove the thread from my sewing machine and stitch through the paper on the lines I had drawn. I then had a stencil which I pinned on my quilt block. If the fabric was dark I used baby powder rubbed on the stencil so I could see the lines. If the fabric was light I would use a blue water erase pen. Worked for me.

dakotamaid 08-15-2010 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
You can also use Gladwrap Press and Seal. It'll stick to whatever you want to trace and then it'll stick to the quilt. After you're through quilting you just peel it back off the quilt.

Love this idea, thanks for the info.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 08-15-2010 10:32 AM

Have a book of Designs from when tole painting, often refer back to if I need a reminder, can make any size, sometimes just free hand and put together the combo, hang it up and work on somthing else let what I call the back of my mind work on it, most of the time come up w/something workable. LOL... Voices in my head :)
Do like the Glad Idea Clever Quilters!!! :)

MZStitch 08-15-2010 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

I have to try this!! I usually use tissue paper, then pin it to the fabric. Sometimes tiny bits of tissue paper get caught in the thread and I have to fuss to get them loose!

Up North 08-15-2010 10:58 AM

If I print a design off the computer, I use an exact o knife and cut out the lines then use a disappearing maker to mark what I am going to quilt, I print it on card stock and sometimes glue that to light cardboard before cutting out.

clem55 08-15-2010 10:59 AM

Are you just sewiing over the P&S, then removing it? Can it be reused?