Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I cut this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-cut-t65099.html)

almostfree 09-16-2010 02:34 PM

I have some backing fabric for a quilt I am doing for my husband, but it is like 5 1/2 yards long. I have cut the piece in half (width) and I need to piece the back together, so I need to cut about 12 inches off each l-o-n-g side (length). But I only have a 24" cutting mat and ruler, so logistically how to I cut a straight line down the long edge? <Is this as clear as mud?> I'm sure some of you veteran quilters can offer some advice for me. Thanks so much!

CoriAmD 09-16-2010 02:38 PM

If I understand you correctly, I would suggest you fold the fabric until it is a managable size for you to cut. Just make sure when you fold it that it lays flat so when you cut you don't get the "dog ears" or a "V" at the folds. Now, I hope THIS is {clear as mud}... LOL

sueisallaboutquilts 09-16-2010 02:40 PM

Very careful folding and cutting is what I would do.

almostfree 09-16-2010 02:42 PM

Can I use the rulers on my cutting mat as a guideline?

sandybeach 09-16-2010 02:47 PM

First, instead of cutting 12 inches off each side, why not just cut 24 inches off one side. The size will be the same and you can use a 24 inch piece of fabric much better than two 12 inch pieces. And, even though the seam will be offset, once you quilt, no one will even notice. Second, why not just rip? I rip all the time and it comes out fine. Just spray the edge with water and iron it. It lays down just fine.

donnajean 09-16-2010 02:50 PM

Lay the 5 1/2 yd piece out on the floor (leave it folded selvage to selvage) and measure the length you require with a tape measure. Put a pin in selvage edge to mark this place. With the fabricl still folded matching selvage edges, fold again - lengthwise. Put the folded piece (should now be a bit more than 10") on your mat lining up selvage edge along a horizontal line on the mat & then use your ruler to make the cut.

Originally Posted by almostfree
I have some backing fabric for a quilt I am doing for my husband, but it is like 5 1/2 yards long. I have cut the piece in half (width) and I need to piece the back together, so I need to cut about 12 inches off each l-o-n-g side (length). But I only have a 24" cutting mat and ruler, so logistically how to I cut a straight line down the long edge? <Is this as clear as mud?> I'm sure some of you veteran quilters can offer some advice for me. Thanks so much!

Scissor Queen 09-16-2010 03:22 PM

I probably wouldn't cut it. I'd make a little snip and tear it.

LovinMySoldier 09-16-2010 03:39 PM

so you are cutting it in half and then piecing the two pieces for the back? Do you have to cut the long side off of them? I wouldn't bother cutting the extra off if you don't need too. Just piece the two pieces together and then when you sandwich your quilt together you can just trim it up closer to your top. Good luck.

Jim's Gem 09-16-2010 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I probably wouldn't cut it. I'd make a little snip and tear it.

Same here!

almostfree 09-16-2010 04:03 PM

Tearing it scares me to death!