Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how do i decide (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-decide-t64463.html)

laurac 09-12-2010 06:49 PM

how do i decide what "pattern" to use with hand quiliting. i've got multi color twisted spools (turquiose, browns, red, rust, yellow, green, purple) with a fair amount of white on white. the backing is a little leaf pattern in a rusty medium brown.
i'm pretty new to quilting so still haven't really gotten an eye for what will look good. (the last quilt, and really my first big one, i did with stitching next to the blocks then a leaf pattern around the inner border and leaf medallions on the outer border.)

do you have any suggestions for what would look good or how i can figure it out?

amma 09-12-2010 06:52 PM

Have you tried laying some plastic wrap on a section of the quilt and then use a fine point sharpie to sketch a design? This way you can get an idea of what the quilting design will look like on different areas of your quilt.

loopywren 09-13-2010 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Have you tried laying some plastic wrap on a section of the quilt and then use a fine point sharpie to sketch a design? This way you can get an idea of what the quilting design will look like on different areas of your quilt.

My goodness what a simple but excellent idea.

CarrieAnne 09-13-2010 03:47 AM

Amma, that IS a great tip!

sjhughson 09-13-2010 04:09 AM

Rather than plastic wrap, use those plastic sheets, or report covers, or notebook holders for papers. The wrap will cling and crumple up. The plastic sheets won't. Wrap the edges with painters tape so when you mark you patterns on the plastic, you don't accidentally go off the plastic onto your quilt surface. You could also use those washable markers just in case. HIH

raptureready 09-13-2010 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by sjhughson
Rather than plastic wrap, use those plastic sheets, or report covers, or notebook holders for papers. The wrap will cling and crumple up. The plastic sheets won't. Wrap the edges with painters tape so when you mark you patterns on the plastic, you don't accidentally go off the plastic onto your quilt surface. You could also use those washable markers just in case. HIH

But if you use fine point Sharpies you'd have a permenant record of your design and could keep it for the next quilt. Just punch a whole it the top and hang it on the wall. Acrylic sheets or transparencies would work best for permenant designs.

laurac 09-13-2010 04:39 PM

wow! you guys are amazing. what a great idea. i'll give it a try.

purplefiend 09-13-2010 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by sjhughson

Use the crayola washable markers, they work great. My friend uses them to mark her pantographs for the long arm.