Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: how do i decide

how do i decide what "pattern" to use with hand quiliting. i've got multi color twisted spools (turquiose, browns, red, rust, yellow, green, purple) with a fair amount of white on white. the backing is a little leaf pattern in a rusty medium brown.
    i'm pretty new to quilting so still haven't really gotten an eye for what will look good. (the last quilt, and really my first big one, i did with stitching next to the blocks then a leaf pattern around the inner border and leaf medallions on the outer border.)

do you have any suggestions for what would look good or how i can figure it out?

Blog Entries
    Have you tried laying some plastic wrap on a section of the quilt and then use a fine point sharpie to sketch a design? This way you can get an idea of what the quilting design will look like on different areas of your quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Have you tried laying some plastic wrap on a section of the quilt and then use a fine point sharpie to sketch a design? This way you can get an idea of what the quilting design will look like on different areas of your quilt.
    My goodness what a simple but excellent idea.

Amma, that IS a great tip!

Rather than plastic wrap, use those plastic sheets, or report covers, or notebook holders for papers. The wrap will cling and crumple up. The plastic sheets won't. Wrap the edges with painters tape so when you mark you patterns on the plastic, you don't accidentally go off the plastic onto your quilt surface. You could also use those washable markers just in case. HIH

Quote Originally Posted by sjhughson
    Rather than plastic wrap, use those plastic sheets, or report covers, or notebook holders for papers. The wrap will cling and crumple up. The plastic sheets won't. Wrap the edges with painters tape so when you mark you patterns on the plastic, you don't accidentally go off the plastic onto your quilt surface. You could also use those washable markers just in case. HIH
    But if you use fine point Sharpies you'd have a permenant record of your design and could keep it for the next quilt. Just punch a whole it the top and hang it on the wall. Acrylic sheets or transparencies would work best for permenant designs.

wow! you guys are amazing. what a great idea. i'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by sjhughson
    Use the crayola washable markers, they work great. My friend uses them to mark her pantographs for the long arm.