Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I downsize my stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-downsize-my-stash-t180463.html)

ptquilts 02-24-2012 04:32 AM

Great, now you have folks all over the world wiping drool off their keyboards!! LOL !!

nhweaver 02-24-2012 04:38 AM

The post office picks up right at your door for free!!!! and supplies boxes and envelopes for free.

Originally Posted by harrishs (Post 5003008)
I am needing more room for my vintage sewing machine collection and am thinking that room could come from selling some of my stash----I am going to try to post a picture of alittle over half my stash----cottons----(the wall is 16 foot long). I really am not able to ship out so what is the best way---ad in paper? on Craigs list? a garage sale is not really it, is it?......do I sell by the pound or yard or sack full? and how much is a fair price? I can't afford to give it all away but don't intend to get rich either. thanks for any suggestions you have......

Jackie Spencer 02-24-2012 05:04 AM

I would go with the guild idea. We want to keep you safe. Also alot of churches make lap quilts for nursing homes and baby quilts for hospitals. Im sure they would appreciate fabric at a bargain. My church makes them, and a couple of times a year all the ladies take a road trip to buy fabric and go out to lunch. They don't always depend on donations.

nabobw 02-24-2012 05:47 AM

If I was closer I would come shopping at your house.

Lori S 02-24-2012 05:49 AM

You can sell them here. If you use flat rate shipping boxes , it's much easier. Post photo, and yardage . List the price for the group plus the flat rate shipping. I would put some pre-coordinated bundles together till they fill a flat rate box or flat rate envelope. You could do color groupings or by style. I have been downsizing my stash by listing them here. It was quicker and easier than a garage sale, craigs list , or packing them up to sell at a guild ( many won't allow it if you ar not a member).

luvTooQuilt 02-24-2012 05:50 AM

I agree- stuff a med box- snap A PIC- post it here for a lump sum- call USPS to come pick up the boxes from your home

If the price is right you will sell all 15 in one day!!!

Buckeye Rose 02-24-2012 05:51 AM

I could only wish that I lived closer....then I could personally help you out! LOL

Delta 02-24-2012 05:53 AM

contact your local quilt guild and see if they are making charity quilts. Ours here in Waco are making them for meals on wheels and for Kids that get displaced from their homes. It is the best way to thin your stash. They dont have to be fancy just blocks, panels. what ever you like.

have fun.

homecaregiver 02-24-2012 05:55 AM

I agree with selling it on the board, I have bought a lot of fabric from sellers on here and have found it easier for me.
Pat

wolph33 02-24-2012 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5003598)
You can sell them here. If you use flat rate shipping boxes , it's much easier. Post photo, and yardage . List the price for the group plus the flat rate shipping. I would put some pre-coordinated bundles together till they fill a flat rate box or flat rate envelope. You could do color groupings or by style. I have been downsizing my stash by listing them here. It was quicker and easier than a garage sale, craigs list , or packing them up to sell at a guild ( many won't allow it if you ar not a member).

I agree also.flat rate boxes are the way to go.15 large boxes will add up fast to get it moving-without strangers in your home.