Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I find machines that have an "endless bobbin"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-find-machines-have-endless-bobbin-t178795.html)

SunlitenSmiles 02-11-2012 04:43 AM

what you do is lay your head on a pillow and close your eyes and in a few moments "there it is, the long-arm that uses 2 cones of thread and the tension on each is computer generated....sigh.......and sometimes on the wall behind you there is a glass screen where you can touch, design and arrange quilt squares and send specifications to the laser cutting machine in the annex."

quilticing 02-11-2012 04:56 AM

I was told there's no such thing due to the way the bobbin has to work. It's just wishful thinking on our part but we can still hope for a miracle, can't we?

Quilt Mom 02-11-2012 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles (Post 4963949)
what you do is lay your head on a pillow and close your eyes and in a few moments "there it is, the long-arm that uses 2 cones of thread and the tension on each is computer generated....sigh.......and sometimes on the wall behind you there is a glass screen where you can touch, design and arrange quilt squares and send specifications to the laser cutting machine in the annex."

To dream it is to do it. All we need to do is find the right person to engineer this.
By the way, there were treadles made to use two spools of thread. Someone alluded earlier in the thread to the National and Eldridge Two-Spools machines. The second spool fits in a can below the machine head where a bobbin would be placed. The reason I have heard for not continuing this after the machines were wired is the vibration that occurred at the higher speeds.

Elaine433 02-11-2012 05:24 AM

I agree an endless bobbin would be a quilters dream. When I am quilting on my sewing machine I wind up at least 12 bobbins before I start. I do find that when it is time to put in a new bobbin, it is also a good time to brush out the lint and take a 5 minute break. All my FMQ is done on my regular sewing machine and sometimes I do a very small stippling which uses up bobbins like crazy.

MadP 02-11-2012 05:52 AM

I have wonder for years why someone doesn't invent a machine that could use a whole spool in the bobbin area. It seems I am always having to stop to wind bobbins.

coldquilter 02-11-2012 05:59 AM

I have never heard of this either but what a good idea. Good luck on that. My longarm uses the L or M can't remember right now but you have to change - I like the sounds of the one you are talking about.

helenquilt 02-11-2012 06:25 AM

Any machine that does not use a bobbin makes a chain stitch that can be pulled out by pulling on the thread. Don't think you want that. It is mostly used on large bags like bird feed, flour, etc.
I had a boss in a factory that spent 10 yr trying to make a machine that did not use a bobbin with no luck.

kellen46 02-11-2012 07:30 AM

It is not an endless bobbin, but I use Superior Threads Bottom line and it is so fine it goes on twice as long as a regular thread. I use what ever I want in the top and Bottom line in the bottom. When using it on quilting the thread virtually becomes one with the quilt. A rather inexpensive solution...no need to buy a new machine, of course unless you want to.

Marysewfun 02-11-2012 08:17 AM

Hmmm - interesting discussion. I will have to check out that "bottom line" thread. Also I think there is a Japanese sewing machine (Nancy Zieman has demonstrated it) - only its for sewing and no bobbin thread - - -but I think it may operate on the chain stitch idea and as pointed out already that of course wouldn't work with the abuse quilts get. At least it sounds like manufacturers are thinking along that line - - maybe if we flood the market about the wonders and desires of having such a thing, a vendor will see the possible "niche" in the market and work more directly on coming up with one. We can always hope. :-)

memereof8 02-11-2012 09:37 AM

The men who are designing our sewing machines are not listening to us ladies. I have been telling my DH for years that we should be able to attach a spool of thread in place of the bobbin. But, do you know what, no one is listening to me. I even have spoken to the owner of our LQS, who sells machines, to now avail.