Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I find machines that have an "endless bobbin"?

How do I find machines that have an "endless bobbin"?

I'm new to long arm machines, are there any older machines out there that use an endless bobbin? I don't know how to find them? I've tried a few searches but not having any luck. I'd sure appreciate hearing from some of you veterans out there! :~)

I don't mean the kind of machine that rewinds the bobbin automatically for you when it runs out. I'm looking for a machine that has no bobbin at all, but uses a cone of thread for the lower thread instead of a bobbin.
    Last edited by Christine-; 02-09-2012 at 06:13 PM.
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

I have a longarm but never heard of an endless bobbin.

I will be interested in finding out too. I get so tired if changing bobbins when I use my machines. Guess thats why I prefer hand sewing.

Don't think it's possible to have a longarm with an endless bobbin. Would be the most fantastic invention for us quilters though...

never heard of it on any machine. It would be cool.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    I have heard of only one model of machine that utilized and endless bobbin, and it is a very vintage sewing machine (not a longarm). It was designed so that a spool of thread was fed in from underneath, eliminating the need to wind bobbins. Apparently the design was no very successful, because it never caught on.

These days I think the most you can look for is a larger bobbin -- I forgot the name of it (L or M?). They hold more thread, thus need to be changed less frequently.

Are you talking about a Vintage dual spool machine?

That would be awesome on any type of sewing machine.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Never heard of that before, I think that is every quilters dream

I think I have heard of that recently also. Can't remember where though. I think it's in the works. I think I remember something about it coming out this summer on a new long arm... I think.

Blog Entries
    i think if there was a machine that worked well without bobbins, we'd all have one!!!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Years ago when I worked in a shoe plant sewing those stripes on those old black and white track shoes, my machine had an endless bobbin like that for all six seams. So, I had 12 spools of thread to deal with. It was great! I could sew and sew and sew. When I ran out of a spool, I'd just tie on another spool and pull it through and go again. Maybe they will come up with one if they haven't already. I'm sure going to find out when I buy mine.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook at Leesa's Fabrics

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Never heard of that before, I think that is every quilters dream
    I know it would be my dream...I get tired of having to go back a few feet to pick up where the thread ended.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Banned
    A few years ago I was told by a technician at a sewing machine manufacturer that it can't be done due to the way the underside has to be constructed in order to grab the lower thread. He said it can't be done. However, in this technoligical age, can't is not a word.

Blog Entries
    Serger type machine don't have bobbins so it can done but. Put a serger on a frame?
    Got fabric?

There are some sewing/embroidery machines with endless bobbin such as the Singer XL6000 and others but I've never heard of a long arm that does it.
    cparant

Wink endless bobbin ???

It is not a long arm machine but my Bernina 820 has a bobbin that holds 1 1/2 times the amount of thread that an ordinary machine bobbin holds. It also has a large harp area & will count down the amount of thread that is left on my bobbin & I love that feature + many others.
    Dance like no one is watching

Quote Originally Posted by callen View Post
    It is not a long arm machine but my Bernina 820 has a bobbin that holds 1 1/2 times the amount of thread that an ordinary machine bobbin holds. It also has a large harp area & will count down the amount of thread that is left on my bobbin & I love that feature + many others.
    Actually, it's 3 times the amount of a regular bobbin....or at least that's what I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
    There are some sewing/embroidery machines with endless bobbin such as the Singer XL6000 and others but I've never heard of a long arm that does it.
    There are other models that can wind a bobbin as this machine does. That's not an endless bobbin in the sense of what the OP is talking about. Google vintage dual spool sewing machine.

My husband has been trying to figure one out for years and hasn't. I think the big problem is going back and forth on the frame more than anything but then I don't know much.lol The M bobbin is the big long arm bobbin. I think if they ever figure one out it will be the big sale of the century!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    what you do is lay your head on a pillow and close your eyes and in a few moments "there it is, the long-arm that uses 2 cones of thread and the tension on each is computer generated....sigh.......and sometimes on the wall behind you there is a glass screen where you can touch, design and arrange quilt squares and send specifications to the laser cutting machine in the annex."

I was told there's no such thing due to the way the bobbin has to work. It's just wishful thinking on our part but we can still hope for a miracle, can't we?

Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
    what you do is lay your head on a pillow and close your eyes and in a few moments "there it is, the long-arm that uses 2 cones of thread and the tension on each is computer generated....sigh.......and sometimes on the wall behind you there is a glass screen where you can touch, design and arrange quilt squares and send specifications to the laser cutting machine in the annex."
    To dream it is to do it. All we need to do is find the right person to engineer this.
    By the way, there were treadles made to use two spools of thread. Someone alluded earlier in the thread to the National and Eldridge Two-Spools machines. The second spool fits in a can below the machine head where a bobbin would be placed. The reason I have heard for not continuing this after the machines were wired is the vibration that occurred at the higher speeds.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

I agree an endless bobbin would be a quilters dream. When I am quilting on my sewing machine I wind up at least 12 bobbins before I start. I do find that when it is time to put in a new bobbin, it is also a good time to brush out the lint and take a 5 minute break. All my FMQ is done on my regular sewing machine and sometimes I do a very small stippling which uses up bobbins like crazy.

I have wonder for years why someone doesn't invent a machine that could use a whole spool in the bobbin area. It seems I am always having to stop to wind bobbins.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast