Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: linen napkins

Lightbulb linen napkins

HI, I love this website. I am interested to know, has anyone ever used linen napkins when making a quilt? I purchased A LOT on them at a estate sale. They are beautiful. I need to use them. What do you think.
    My words of wisdom start early and enjoy longer.

I would say yes. I think they would make a beautiful quilt. Sight unseen. joyce j

Power Poster
    I don't know why you couldn't use them. The only caution I would add is you would probably need to machine quilt it when finished. I think linen would be too hard to hand quilt through. Depending on the threads and density of the weave, you might need larger seam allowances.

My only other problem is that they are 18 x 18 and I really don't want to cut as I think they would ravel pretty bad and be even more difficult to handle. Then to applique or embroidery?

There are no quilt police so go for it. Would love to see when you have tried.
    Linda

Ok. Just rearranged sewing and bedroom. (one in the same) I will try something even if it is wrong. Thanks for the help. I live with my daughter and family, she will be quilt police. At least she will have a good laugh.

I am interested in following this. I have been wondering what to do with linen fingertip towels, inherited from Mom, Aunt and my 51 year old wedding presents. I am not coming up with any quilting ideas and hate to just leave them in the drawer. If you use linen do you have to iron it after you wash the quilt?

When you mentioned raveling, I was reminded of serger quilts being mentioned on this site. If you have access to a serger, maybe that would be the way to go.

Oh yes!!! But it is worth it. And I don't do ironing only when quilting. I got 24 or more at this estate sale and really hate linen when I finished. I think what ever I do they will have to be quilted a lot.

Have you considered applique designs on the napkins? I like to have a hand project going, for movie watching time, and would love to try appliqueing on linen. I'll bet that the linen has a really nice hand, one that only vintage linen has.

I would think you could make some lovely quilts out of the linen, and it would be different. But because linen wrinkles so badly, I'd heavily quilt it, so you don't have to iron it in the future to have it look nice. Embroidery, some applique, any number of different ideas would be lovely with linen. Please post what you make, as we'd all love to see it. I'm sure a bunch of us will be looking for old napkins now with those same thoughts in mind!

They take dye very very nicely
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

That size would make lovely kitchen towels, too, add a pretty patchwork border/stripe to one end (or both, wherever it pleases your eye.)