Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Linen napkins and table cloths

I have linen table cloths and matching napkins that belonged to my mother and both grandmothers. Has anyone repurposed these into a quilt or is that a terrible idea? All seem to be in wonderful condition but who uses linen table cloths and napkins in our day of simplicity?! Our foremothers spent hours starching and ironing these. Seems I should come up with some idea that will preserve the fabrics in a more usable way.

Blog Entries
    I haven't done this, but I love the idea!

I just got a book on Scandinavian handwork. Many of the wallhangings and quilts, etc., use linen and applique or stitch on them. Now I want some linen!

I know what you mean when you talk about this day of simplicity. I set the table for dinner yesterday with the fine china, including the bread plate, and no one knew what it was for! Oh well, it looked pretty anyway. Your idea is a good one though if you don't plan on using the linens on the table. They will probably be beautiful in a quilt.

I wouldn't use the old linen in a quilt just because of the bleaching, starching and pressing it went thru. I used some older linen to back a table runner recently and when I washed it I discovered some small holes. It would still be good for other projects just for backing.

I have been collecting and using vintage linens, doilies, chenilles, doilies, etc. in wallhangings, collages, pillows, purses, etc. for years. Love the look and the idea of repurposing.

Blog Entries
    This struck me really funny this morning. Last night I got to thinking of the huge white linen tablecloth I have that was my mom's, thought I should give it to my DIL as her table does open larger than mine. And then I thought, I could probably use it in a quilt! I had several smaller linen tablecloths that mom used all the time, they were worn in spots, and I am not into using tablecloths , except for special days, so I cut them into dishtowels. , Even had some nice pattern ones that I had for a wedding gift, did the same with them. That was before people got on the vintage kick, or I could have sold them! Anyway, they sure have had a lot of use since. Some of the linen I saved to use as window wipers, that worked great! But, back to the subject, I am probably going to ask DIL if she wants it, and if not, I'm getting that one and a damask one I have, and they will be used in quilts. Mom's is large enough for a backing on a queen size quilt. I also have about 12 doilys mom made that I have attached to dk. green velvet, intended someday to make a quilt top with them, but not sure how to set them as they are different sizes.

I have several linen table cloths and all the matching napkins, as my sister in law says they're a curse. I'm too old to want to iron them any more, though cutting the damask set isn't ever likely to happen.

I did get rid of one that was in poor shape, but later realised I should have cut it up for pressing cloths, dishtowels and the like.

Blog Entries
    I have a battenburg lace table cloth that gets taken to the cleaner for washing and ironing. So it hangs in my closet and has only been used once. :oops:

I would hesitate to use linen in a quilt. When folded again and again in the same place, the fiber will break. It will slip off the bed easily. And, there is the wrinkle factor. When washed, it has to be ironed unless it is an old, old piece that has been through the washer a bunch of times.

Quote Originally Posted by illinois
    I have linen table cloths and matching napkins that belonged to my mother and both grandmothers. Has anyone repurposed these into a quilt or is that a terrible idea? All seem to be in wonderful condition but who uses linen table cloths and napkins in our day of simplicity?! Our foremothers spent hours starching and ironing these. Seems I should come up with some idea that will preserve the fabrics in a more usable way.
    My daughter buys them is sales and uses them everyday on the table without starching and ironing. Wash dry fold and use. She loves the feel and not throwing paper napkins into the trash.

I recently inherited many of my mother's dresser scarves and table cloths from the 1950s. She used all of them often, so some had stains and the edgings were worn. I washed and ironed them and cut into 7" and 4" blocks. I then ironed them to lightweight muslin using MistyFuse, recut them into 6-1/2" and 3-1/2" blocks and used them here in there in a quilt with pastel fabrics which were also my mother's. It washed beautifully and my sister will love it. My friends who collect vintage linens almost had heart attacks!

Blog Entries
    My feeling is if you would get more use out of them in a quilt or quilted wallhanging, then go for it :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    My feeling is if you would get more use out of them in a quilt or quilted wallhanging, then go for it :D:D:D
    Absolutely no matter who they belonged to before, they are yours to use in any way that pleases you. Unless--they are museum pieces--then contact a museum..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy17
    My daughter buys them is sales and uses them everyday on the table without starching and ironing. Wash dry fold and use. She loves the feel and not throwing paper napkins into the trash.
    I do exactly the same thing. I have not bought paper napkins since about ten years before my husband retired - 1993. I made cloth napkins and put them in his lunch bucket. He liked them, he got complimented that his wife made him cloth napkins for his lunch bucket. We still have them. Only difference now is when I find them at garage sales, they have to be almost perfect and no iron. Works like a charm every time. Edie

Great suggestion! I could use these for the backs on table runners--they were made for use on tables--LOL! Maybe my daughters would enjoy having something like that as a double keepsake with the top made by me and the back being something from their ancestry.

Someone mentioned the doilies. I purchased matching ones and used them as the center for a Dresden plate wallhanging. Very feminine touch on that particular block.

i have a large buffey sp? full of linnen the ones i love and use the most are placemats and napkins with tatting aroung edges, full size crochet bedspread great aunt made for me she passed when i was 5 hankies 50's table cloths there is still more can't think of what

I just rec'vd the same thing from a friend of mine, and I tought about doing the same thing. I need to know the feedback also.

I like the idea of using the doily as a center for a Dresden plate -

I found some quite large Damask napkins at a garage sale and used them to embroider my redwork and then those went into a quilt. It worked great and washed wonderfully. I think it is wonderful for us to use these items before they rot away in storage. I love the ways and ideas that all of you create, use, design etc. Thanks for more ideas.

I use mine...but if you don't, you should do what feels right for you.

Patti

I use them for special occasions and then send them out to be laundered and pressed. then they come home on a hanger which I then put away for next year. Jan

Banned
    I do not care for "our day of simplicity", this usually means dumming down.
    surely these could be used on special occasions, I use table pads and seersucker or poly cotton napkins for every day, but do like to see the graceful formality of a properly laid table and as you all seem to have the iron out permanently is it really such a chore once in a while to do this?-------I realise that blue bagging and using proper starch would be a chore but you can use either sugar water or spray starch. HOWEVER , if there are those who wouldn't do this ,why not embroider the t/cloths with your fancy machines , starch/iron properly and use over pine/oak chests ,side tables so that they maybe displayed permanently without regular washing as the starch will deflect dirt.

i have one table cloth ( that one doesn't need ironing and does not stain) that will cover two banquit tables together bought whe jeffersons went out of business also all of the kids and grandkids were comming over, should sell it or something.

A woman came to speak at our guild one evening who does this. It generally requires cutting things up. She uses the crocheted edges of dresser scarves, vintage handkerchiefs, doilies, etc. and puts them over fabric for a very pretty quilt. Very feminine. I have tons of stuff my grandmother made, and I have in mind to do this one of these days. I have to get right with cutting up my grandmother's handwork first. But since it just sits hidden in a drawer, I might as well. She embroidered chair head and armrests, handkerchiefs, dresser scarves and usually crocheted a pretty edge around them. Also tons of pillowcases, tee towels. You name it.

You have to see what Cindy Needham does with old linens. Here is a link:

http://www.cindyneedham.com/

She appeared a while ago at The Quilt Show. If you are a basic member you can get her show for under $3.00 and watch it is show #202.

You will see linens in a totally different way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast