Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I keep my ruler from slipping? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-keep-my-ruler-slipping-t86208.html)

Rock Lady 01-01-2011 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by snow
I use a 6lbs. of canned pototoes to hold my ruler. It works!!

Now, there's a novel idea. I would never have thought of that.

dlf0122quilting 01-01-2011 08:38 PM

Google "invisigrip"

Pitty Pat 01-01-2011 09:18 PM

I've used the felt dots, the sandpaper dots and the clear plastic strips. What I find most useful is hot glue. You can make your own dots or just trace the ruler with a strip of glue. Make sure that it is not too much for it will make the ruler uneven.

The hot glue is the best that I have used.

KyKaren1949 01-02-2011 11:08 PM

I use an Olipfa ruler that has an edge on one end. The edge grips the edge of the cutting board. Then I also use one of the large suction cup handles on top of my 24" ruler. By pressing down on the handle in combination with the edge ruler, I don't have problems with my ruler slipping anymore. May not work for everyone, but it does work for me.

Slow2Sew 01-03-2011 11:17 AM

I use a rectangular shaped mag floater that is used in floating concrete.

KyKaren1949 01-03-2011 11:49 AM

Me too! I LOVE mine. In fact, I have two; one for at home and one for workshops!

gale 01-03-2011 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Slow2Sew

What is that? When I did a google search this thread is about the only thing that came up (along with boating links)-nothing related to floating cement.

n/m. Magnesium float. I found it but can't see how it works for this purpose. Unless you use it in place of a ruler, in which case how do you measure?

phatquilts 01-03-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by nonnie60
I use Invisigrip (great sale at Michaels afew months ago for $1.50)which works well and the Gypsy Gripper is wonderful. And of course practice. Good luck.

Invisigrip works just fine for me and I also have the "gripper" mine is the Little Gripper and there is a larger size. try thegypsyquilter.com....

Slow2Sew 01-05-2011 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by gale

Originally Posted by Slow2Sew

What is that? When I did a google search this thread is about the only thing that came up (along with boating links)-nothing related to floating cement.

n/m. Magnesium float. I found it but can't see how it works for this purpose. Unless you use it in place of a ruler, in which case how do you measure?

A "mag floater" is the rectangular shaped object with a handle that is used in masonry to level, or "float," concrete soon after it is poured into a form. It is light weight, makes cutting more accurate and it takes less pressure to hold the mag floater on a rectangular shaped ruler than it takes to hold the ruler by hand. I believe some quilting companies (F&P perhaps?) sell a similar object that is made just for quilting.