Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do I use this template to FMQ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-i-use-template-fmq-t144700.html)

OmaForFour 08-13-2011 09:36 AM

I have used these and they are great. DON'T cut the center marks. Lady at LQS doesn't know better. Just do each section as you see it on the template and trace in the slots with whatever you normally use and if it fits in the groove.

Stacey 08-13-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Xstitshmom
I trace onto tissue paper then pin it on and then sew on the lines. Then I just tear it away.

Me, too.

azam 08-13-2011 10:05 AM

A pounce pad works great, much quicker than a marker.

Hint: Once you've pounced a new pad with the cover still on it several times to get the chalk distributed all you have to do is glide it over the the area that you want marked. It works wonderfully.

MargeD 08-13-2011 10:23 AM

That woman was wrong, DO NOT cut out the bridges on the template, as then it would be useless. Use a chalk liner pencil or a pounce pad with chalk to mark the design onthe quilt and then machine quilt. Your husband was right - actually that template is not much different than a painting stencil.

Kas 08-13-2011 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by hexagonquilter
I used a blue water disappearing marker on a quilt with a template like that. It never disappeared. Soooo very disappointed. I had to over quilt in that area to hide the light blue marks. Then scrub!!! to get off what I couldn't hide.
Be careful. I have been told to use a #2 pencil lightly and it will disappear in the washing of the quilt. Haven't tried it yet.

Did you not test your fabric first? Did you press after marking? Did you completely submerge the quilt in cold water and agitate before washing with detergent? Just spraying the surface with water will only push the ink into the batting and it will reappear. It must be completely rinsed out of the quilt.

Kas 08-13-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
if you use a design it is not FMQ..it is just simply Machine quilting..FMQ means to FREELY move around while quilting...

I prefer to use Golden threads paper for this style of Machine quilting!

Using or not using a pattern is not what makes FMQ what it is. It is the dropping of the feed dogs and freely moving your sandwich under the needle, not making up the quilting motif as you go. That is called "freehand".

Iamquilter 08-13-2011 11:27 AM

If you use the Ultimate Pencil for marking your design and wash your quilt after it is quilted it will all wash out. I use the Ultimate all the time and have never had a problem with it not coming out. No you do not cut out the center of that template.

Iamquilter 08-13-2011 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kas

Originally Posted by hexagonquilter
I used a blue water disappearing marker on a quilt with a template like that. It never disappeared. Soooo very disappointed. I had to over quilt in that area to hide the light blue marks. Then scrub!!! to get off what I couldn't hide.
Be careful. I have been told to use a #2 pencil lightly and it will disappear in the washing of the quilt. Haven't tried it yet.

Did you not test your fabric first? Did you press after marking? Did you completely submerge the quilt in cold water and agitate before washing with detergent? Just spraying the surface with water will only push the ink into the batting and it will reappear. It must be completely rinsed out of the quilt.

If you use the blue water disappearing markers to mark and have your batting and backing all together that blue marking will go down into the batting and that is what comes back to haunt you. Mark your top before you places all three pieces together.

Lilrain 08-13-2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
has anyone had problems washing out washable markers or pens?

I have know people who washed them out, only to have them return later. And whatever you do, don't use an iron on then

Roberta 08-13-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Xstitshmom
I trace onto tissue paper then pin it on and then sew on the lines. Then I just tear it away.

What a great idea, thanks.