Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I use this template to FMQ?

Blog Entries
    I bought this template and the woman told me at the FMG shop that i would have to cut out the center marks...ok...so I bought it. My husband said if I do that the template will fall apart...Yikes...has anyone used these to FMG with there machines?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    you use a washable pen or pencil and trace the lines, I think you can use chalk too

You can draw it on your block with a pencil or use pounce pad to mark your quilt top, just make sure whatever you use is removable. then sew on the marks

Blog Entries
    has anyone had problems washing out washable markers or pens?

I use the chalk all the time and have no problems. If you do not wait to long, you can use an old tooth brush and just brush it a way. Good luck!

I trace onto tissue paper then pin it on and then sew on the lines. Then I just tear it away.

Blog Entries
    Thanks...this sounds like a good idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstitshmom
    I trace onto tissue paper then pin it on and then sew on the lines. Then I just tear it away.

Blog Entries
    Your DH is right. I cant imagine someone saying to cut them out! I dont think I would be asking her anymore questions!

I would use a Pounce Puff - it is filled with chalk and comes out like using a powder puff. Place in place on your quilt, pounce it then quilt! The pattern is great - I like it.

Blog Entries
    Power puff...Looking that up now...thanks!

I would lay several layers of freezer paper (stapled together) over the template and trace the lines, then cut out. Use the center section as the template. Iron the freezer paper template on the quilt and FMQ around it. You can peel it off and use it again and again.

Kas
    That woman was an idiot! The bridges have to stay. I use a blue washable marker with never a bad result. I will mark a red snippet of fabric or sometimes all of the fabrics (just a test snip) with the marker before I start piecing the quilt. After I am done piecing and am ready to mark, I will soak my test snips in COLD water. If all the marks come out, I know it is safe to use on the quilt. I always wash my quilts when I am done, so first I put the quilt in my washer and fill it with COLD water, agitate a bit, then spin. Now you can wash with detergent. If you just wash with detergent first without rinsing with cold water, you might set the marks.

You shouldn't need to cut out those lines, just use one of the methods mentioned above and then you just sew across the "gap" in the line! I'm glad your husband told you not to cut them out! That would've been frustrating to spend money on the stencil and follow directions just to find out that ruined the stencil!

Sorr double post

QM
    I think what she meant was that if you cut it out, you can then sew around the OUTSIDE of the pattern. I have done this with my own patterns, but I prefer to mark it on freezer paper, cut THAT out and iron it in place. You won't be unhappy if you nick the freezer paper with your needle, your pattern is still intact,

Cutting the stencil is insane! As someone else said, do not take any more quilting advice from her. Follow the advice previously given about using removable markers to mark the fabric, test it out on some scraps from your quilt and go from there.

QM , I like this idea, thanks.

This is what I do too. Much easier than messing with a template. That is how I do my sashes and borders. Just cut a strip the width of your sashing/borders, trace the quilting design, pin to the quilt and FMQ. Works well.

Blog Entries
    You have all been so helpful! Thank-you!!

does it leave bits of paper behind or tear clean? I'm struggling with marking my quits.

I had residual permanent blue marks left over from a quilt that took me months to quilt. First quilt and marked the entire quilt at once.....lesson learned, mark as you go, remove.

Your DH is right...if you remove those connectors you will have an empty hole.

With this template I would cut it all out. it would leave the outline of the inside (this is what you want on your quilt) Then just lay in place and trace the inside design onto the area you want to put the design on. I use the pens that are heat erasable. or the powder that irons away. on black I have used the white clover pen, it to removes easily. For FMQ this will not ruin this template as the design is the still intact.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    if you use a design it is not FMQ..it is just simply Machine quilting..FMQ means to FREELY move around while quilting...

I prefer to use Golden threads paper for this style of Machine quilting!

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    has anyone had problems washing out washable markers or pens?
    I have used the washable markers 2 or 3 times. There have been a few times that I had to re-wet the marks a couple of times, because the marks started to reappear in some areas. But, after that it never came back.

tmg
    Never thought about doing it that way. Thanks

Don't cut the stencil.Trace the design onto your quilt top before you make it into a sandwich.You join up the lines so that they are continuous.It is best to use chalk or water soluble pen to draw the design as graphite can often be hard to remove the marks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast