Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you all keep your sandwiches together tightly?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-all-keep-your-sandwiches-together-tightly-t52574.html)

daniellern76 07-03-2010 05:54 AM

My first official project was a table runner. Just finishing the binding now. I had the hardest time pinning it together without it looking saggy in the back. It took me an hour! I can't imagine how long a twiin or full quilt will take me! I taped the backing tightly to the table, spread out the batting and then the top and used the brass quilting pins that I saw recommended. I had to redo it numerous times before I considered it acceptable. Any shortcuts or hints you all have for me? I wish I could just roll it onto something, nice and tight and have it turn out perfectly!

Pam B 07-03-2010 06:05 AM

I always use basting spray when I do wall hangings and lap throws or baby blankets. That helps. On placemats and table runners, I use fusible fleece rather than batting. I send twins and larger out to be long-armed.

CarrieAnne 07-03-2010 06:11 AM

I pin well first, then baste really good, and take out pins. I only take out the pins though, because I have alot of pets, and I'm always afraid they will get one!

Pam 07-03-2010 06:59 AM

I use the spray and the pins. My REAL backside bags enough, I do NOT need any on my quilts.

littlehud 07-03-2010 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
I use the spray and the pins. My REAL backside bags enough, I do NOT need any on my quilts.

So funny. Mine too.

littlehud 07-03-2010 07:04 AM

I use basting spray and that works better for me than pins or basting. It's faster too.

ghostrider 07-03-2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by daniellern76
How do you all keep your sandwiches together tightly??

Lots of mayo! *giggle*

sewgull 07-03-2010 08:12 AM

I have to laugh when I read your topic 'how to hold a sandwich together' I had just finished eating fresh tomato sandwich, and you know how messy that can be. My thought was I need this info now. My laugh for today.

oatw13 07-03-2010 08:16 AM

One thing I have found was that when I was taping my backing to a hard, flat surface, I was often stretching it in my attempt to get it flat. This results in the backing "sagging" when you remove the tape because the fabric pulls back in naturally once that the pressure is gone.

Try not to stretch it - just lay it smooth - not tight.

I have since moved on to the spray, but the same rules apply.

LovinMySoldier 07-03-2010 08:18 AM

Well I like to just vacuum my living room floor really well. Then I just straight pin everything to the carpet. Then you can pull on the layers and keep everything tight. I usually pin all the outside edges to the carpet. Once I get it all pinned and smooth then I pin the quilt together. Works best for me. I have issues getting it all smooth otherwise.