Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you all keep your sandwiches together tightly??

My first official project was a table runner. Just finishing the binding now. I had the hardest time pinning it together without it looking saggy in the back. It took me an hour! I can't imagine how long a twiin or full quilt will take me! I taped the backing tightly to the table, spread out the batting and then the top and used the brass quilting pins that I saw recommended. I had to redo it numerous times before I considered it acceptable. Any shortcuts or hints you all have for me? I wish I could just roll it onto something, nice and tight and have it turn out perfectly!

I always use basting spray when I do wall hangings and lap throws or baby blankets. That helps. On placemats and table runners, I use fusible fleece rather than batting. I send twins and larger out to be long-armed.

I pin well first, then baste really good, and take out pins. I only take out the pins though, because I have alot of pets, and I'm always afraid they will get one!

Pam
    I use the spray and the pins. My REAL backside bags enough, I do NOT need any on my quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I use the spray and the pins. My REAL backside bags enough, I do NOT need any on my quilts.
    So funny. Mine too.

I use basting spray and that works better for me than pins or basting. It's faster too.

Quote Originally Posted by daniellern76
    How do you all keep your sandwiches together tightly??
    Lots of mayo! *giggle*

I have to laugh when I read your topic 'how to hold a sandwich together' I had just finished eating fresh tomato sandwich, and you know how messy that can be. My thought was I need this info now. My laugh for today.

One thing I have found was that when I was taping my backing to a hard, flat surface, I was often stretching it in my attempt to get it flat. This results in the backing "sagging" when you remove the tape because the fabric pulls back in naturally once that the pressure is gone.

Try not to stretch it - just lay it smooth - not tight.

I have since moved on to the spray, but the same rules apply.

Well I like to just vacuum my living room floor really well. Then I just straight pin everything to the carpet. Then you can pull on the layers and keep everything tight. I usually pin all the outside edges to the carpet. Once I get it all pinned and smooth then I pin the quilt together. Works best for me. I have issues getting it all smooth otherwise.

Blog Entries
    Yes, try to tape or pin down the backing before spraying or pinning. Keep it taut but not stretched. I think you will really like the outcome better :D:D:D

I use bonding spray for quilts

I spray my batting and then put my back on it and then pin the two together. Then spray the front of the batting and put down the front smoothing everything out and then re-pin the front to the rest.

When I use basting spray it always gums up my needles! Is there a trick I've missed?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I tape my backing down really taut using blue painter's tape. Then I smooth out the batting by patting it in place. On large pieces I work on a quarter of the piece at a time.
    When the top is placed, I also pat it from the center out. Generally I pin no less than hand-width apart. Never had any problems. The last few I did this way had not a single pucker.

Pam
    I use the Elmers Craft Bond spray glue. It is acid free and does not gum up my needle and since the word quilt is not on there anywhere in big letters, it is relatively inexpensive. Add QUILT and the price seems to double.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Well I like to just vacuum my living room floor really well. Then I just straight pin everything to the carpet. Then you can pull on the layers and keep everything tight. I usually pin all the outside edges to the carpet. Once I get it all pinned and smooth then I pin the quilt together. Works best for me. I have issues getting it all smooth otherwise.
    I would have issues getting up off the floor!
    seriously, I pin ,pin,pin.

Blog Entries
    Starching the backing fabric helps. It stabilizes the fabric so it doesn't stretch out of shape as you work with it.

I agree with not over-stretching the backing fabric when you tape it down; if over-stretched, it will spring back when you release it and create wrinkles.

I also recommend spray basting; just be sure to protect surfaces from overspray!

Good name for a quilt guild - The Baggy Backsides.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagny
    Good name for a quilt guild - The Baggy Backsides.
    ROLFLMAO!!!!

Pam
    Actually the Baggy Backsides could be a could quilt group, according to what I have been seeing at meetings. I could be the leader! Head saddlebagger.

I understand your frustration. I've tried a few techniques over the years.

The last table runner I did I basted it on the ironing board. Photos can be seen here: http://www.plentifulpennies.com/sear...table%20runner

I pinned the outside edge of the backing to the ironing board (with pins not safety pins). Then added the batting. I then pinned the top to the backing - again only the outside edge.

I hand basted from one edge of the ironing board to the other (from narrow end to narrow end). Only removing pins as required. Gosh I hope that makes sense...

Another technique I used once was a bed mattress. I took it off the bed and propped it up again the wall. Then I pinned the backing onto the mattress (same as before - just the outside edge, and used regular pins). Having it hang vertically made it easier to ensure there was no bunching. Once again I hand basted it (my preference - but you could also pin with safety pins at 3 inch intervals).

This weekend I tried Sharon Shambler's method. No taping required http://www.plentifulpennies.com/2010/07/basting.html I'm now a convert :) Probably over the top for a table runner - but great for wall, lap, or bed quilts.

Blog Entries
    I use spray baste and a few pin around the outside to help hold it in case of rough handling.

Blog Entries
    This weekend I tried Sharon Shambler's method. No taping required http://www.plentifulpennies.com/2010/07/basting.html I'm now a convert :) Probably over the top for a table runner - but great for wall, lap, or bed quilts.[/quote]

I just made a table runner using Sharon Shambles's method as mentioned by Kiwiquilter.

Since I enjoy handwork, the tailor basting type stitch was quick and easy. The results were above and beyond my expectations. I, too, am a convert to this method. :-) With my asthma, I am unable to use the basting sprays. :-(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Quote Originally Posted by daniellern76
    How do you all keep your sandwiches together tightly??
    Lots of mayo! *giggle*
    LOL LOL - I thought TOOTHPICKS!!! Ya know the ones that are decorated on top!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast