Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How do you all keep your sandwiches together tightly??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kay carlson
    This weekend I tried Sharon Shambler's method. No taping required http://www.plentifulpennies.com/2010/07/basting.html I'm now a convert :) Probably over the top for a table runner - but great for wall, lap, or bed quilts.
    I just made a table runner using Sharon Shambles's method as mentioned by Kiwiquilter.

Since I enjoy handwork, the tailor basting type stitch was quick and easy. The results were above and beyond my expectations. I, too, am a convert to this method. :-) With my asthma, I am unable to use the basting sprays. :-([/quote]

I've been doing the herringbone stitch basting for years, although I pinned and clamped first instead of using the boards Sharon uses. I like her method much better than having to pin & clamp or spray. Now it's off to the hardware store for those finished baseboards. BTW, the video on her website is more detailed than the one shown on plentifulpennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Hostetler
    When I use basting spray it always gums up my needles! Is there a trick I've missed?
    Depends a lot on the basting spray. I also find that if I let the basting spray sit overnight or so it is less likely to gum up the needle. (When it is "dry" it doesn't get as much on the needle.) Also double check your spray...... some can be "reactivated" by pressing with an iron. However Sulky's KK2000 will go away when heated.
    A trick that does help keep the gunk from any adhesive from building up on the needle: wipe the needle every so often with a bit of Sewer's Aid. It is a silicon lubricant and helps keep the stuff from sticking.

Have fun,
    Pati, in Phx

HA HA !!!

PJO

I agree! Mine too!!

505 basting spray is the way for me. I used to pin and always was disappointed. I worked in a quilt shop for a while last year and was introduced to the spray. What a difference!
    Arlene :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter
    I understand your frustration. I've tried a few techniques over the years.

The last table runner I did I basted it on the ironing board. Photos can be seen here: http://www.plentifulpennies.com/sear...table%20runner

I pinned the outside edge of the backing to the ironing board (with pins not safety pins). Then added the batting. I then pinned the top to the backing - again only the outside edge.

I hand basted from one edge of the ironing board to the other (from narrow end to narrow end). Only removing pins as required. Gosh I hope that makes sense...

Another technique I used once was a bed mattress. I took it off the bed and propped it up again the wall. Then I pinned the backing onto the mattress (same as before - just the outside edge, and used regular pins). Having it hang vertically made it easier to ensure there was no bunching. Once again I hand basted it (my preference - but you could also pin with safety pins at 3 inch intervals).

This weekend I tried Sharon Shambler's method. No taping required http://www.plentifulpennies.com/2010/07/basting.html I'm now a convert :) Probably over the top for a table runner - but great for wall, lap, or bed quilts.
    I just watched the tutorial and am sold. I hope it is as easy as it looks. I have already told my husband to get the boards for me. I may not mind making the quilt sandwich after all.
    Thanks for posting it.

I pin baste then I start in the middle and hoop it. I quilt that then rehoop til I'm done.

basting spray (505 spray ) it is the best thing and the only thing i use , i wont pin anymore quilts together!!!!

[quote=daniellern76]My first official project was a table runner. Just finishing the binding now. I had the hardest time pinning it together without it looking saggy in the back. It took me an hour! I can't imagine how long a twiin or full quilt will take me! I taped the backing tightly to the table, spread out the batting and then the top and used the brass quilting pins that I saw recommended. I had to redo it numerous times before I considered it acceptable. Any shortcuts or hints you all have for me? I wish I could just roll it onto something, nice and tight and have it turn out perfectly![/quote

You did the right thing buy taping the back to the table, but I think you would have had an easier time if you had spray basted, first your batting and then your top. Possibly pinning it tog loosened the back....i'm not sure about that but maybe others will be able to help. I really tape my backs down securely and have learned to use the spray.
    Hope this helps you ...hugs SG

PS...I read from the back to the front so after writng this I see that almost everyone recommended the spray basting....I use WM's spray and it doesnt gum up my needle, but I do use it sparingly and let it dry...good luck

1) Sweep kitchen floor
    2) Mop kitchen floor
    3) Banish husband and children from kitchen, don't allow any drinks in or out of the kitchen either!
    4) Drag all quilting related stuff from bedroom closet to kitchen floor hopefully this inclused tape. lol
    5) Lay backing fabric out and tape it FLAT to the nice clean floor then layer batting and top pin everything together.
    6) Crawl up off the floor and complain about how bad you hate doing it....

I don't get as many quilts quilted as I do pieced! lol and everyone wonders why.

I really wanna try the Micro Stitch Basting Gun. I think it would still be all the same hassle minus the pinning!

i've read the pins should be left open. you will close them after you get all in place and are happy with the "sandwich".

I find the best way to get my tops and bottoms to not pucker or sag is to stretch them on a frame. I have had pieced quilts tha will absolutely not lie flat without being stretched. I have the Flynn system for small stuff, which works well, but I have to pin the large stuff when using the system because of the size under the machine. I have a quilt frame for the Pfaff Grand quilter, but it doesn't work consistently for me. Does anyone else have that problem with the smaller quilting set ups like the long arm without all the bells and whistles? I guess I just have to practice, practice, practice.

Went from hand basting with thread, to pin basting, to spray basting. Works wonderful! All the ladies that are in my little quilt bee spray baste. Put batting down over to work tables, lay top over it and smoth till no wrinkles with empty fabric bolt card board, carefully fold one half of the top back over itself, spray, wait one minute, fold back and work from center out ward to "paste" it down, use the card board bolt thingy and or your arms, repeat for other half and just carefully fold back to where it is already stuck, do the same on the back.

WOW great tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by gma7
    I also use the basting spray but read on another board to use cheap hairspray from the dollar store. Tried it - it washed out and did not gum up my needle.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    I pin well first, then baste really good, and take out pins. I only take out the pins though, because I have alot of pets, and I'm always afraid they will get one!
    I do the same, especially for machine quilting. I don't have pets, but I remove the pins anyway. :lol: I have used the little basting gun thingy with mixed feelings. It works OK with hand quilting, but not so great with machine quilting. They leave an awfully big hole (which closes with washing).

Power Poster
    I like the basting spray.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I use spray baste. God bless. Penny

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    ME TOO BUT WHEN PINNING THE QUILT I PLACE A LARGE CUTTING MAT BETWEEN QUILT AND CARPET..NO CATCHING THE CARPET THEN.. :) :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Hostetler
    When I use basting spray it always gums up my needles! Is there a trick I've missed?
    It is probably the brand you are using...505 is all I use now....never had a problem with it! :thumbup:

Does anyone have experience with sandwiching a quilt with a wool batting. I absolutely love the wool batting and follow all the usual rules, tape to a table, spray and then pin. But I am not satisfied with the results. Help!

Mary...I'm with you. I've used spray in the past but my needle gummed up so I don't use it any more. What are we doing wrong or do you use a certain kind of spray that doesn't gum your needle?

I use T pins to hold the backing to the carpet, taunt but not streached. Then smooth the batting from the middle out, the the same with the top.then pin with 1" curved pins. Crawling around the floor is getting harder though. I have my DD's close all the pins. I haven't had any problems doing it this way. Be sure to use plenty of pins. I use a grid to place my pins, spaced no more than 4" apart. I tryed the spray, and didn't like it. The can said not to use it indoors, and it was very messy.

Blog Entries
    I've completely gone to using basting spray. I pin the backing on the front along the outside edges to keep the edges from catching on something and coming loose.

Quote Originally Posted by daniellern76
    My first official project was a table runner. Just finishing the binding now. I had the hardest time pinning it together without it looking saggy in the back. It took me an hour! I can't imagine how long a twiin or full quilt will take me! I taped the backing tightly to the table, spread out the batting and then the top and used the brass quilting pins that I saw recommended. I had to redo it numerous times before I considered it acceptable. Any shortcuts or hints you all have for me? I wish I could just roll it onto something, nice and tight and have it turn out perfectly!
    Do you hand quilt or machine quilt. If you machine quilt you can use the basting spray but if you hand quilt, I gather that it's better to use the quilt safety pins and then hand baste every 3 inches in both directions - that's what I do and it works just fine. Oh yes, it takes awhile to get all of that basting done but it's well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter
    Sharon Shambler's method is what I used on my last 3 quilts - but my last one I basted my boards were not long enough so I used my QSnap frame (which I only use for basting) but started in the middle and still used Sharon's stitches. I love that method and works fantastic for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast