Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you all keep your sandwiches together tightly?? >

How do you all keep your sandwiches together tightly??

How do you all keep your sandwiches together tightly??

Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 PM

Mary...I'm with you. I've used spray in the past but my needle gummed up so I don't use it any more. What are we doing wrong or do you use a certain kind of spray that doesn't gum your needle?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:14 AM

I use T pins to hold the backing to the carpet, taunt but not streached. Then smooth the batting from the middle out, the the same with the top.then pin with 1" curved pins. Crawling around the floor is getting harder though. I have my DD's close all the pins. I haven't had any problems doing it this way. Be sure to use plenty of pins. I use a grid to place my pins, spaced no more than 4" apart. I tryed the spray, and didn't like it. The can said not to use it indoors, and it was very messy.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:14 PM

I've completely gone to using basting spray. I pin the backing on the front along the outside edges to keep the edges from catching on something and coming loose.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by daniellern76
My first official project was a table runner. Just finishing the binding now. I had the hardest time pinning it together without it looking saggy in the back. It took me an hour! I can't imagine how long a twiin or full quilt will take me! I taped the backing tightly to the table, spread out the batting and then the top and used the brass quilting pins that I saw recommended. I had to redo it numerous times before I considered it acceptable. Any shortcuts or hints you all have for me? I wish I could just roll it onto something, nice and tight and have it turn out perfectly!
Do you hand quilt or machine quilt. If you machine quilt you can use the basting spray but if you hand quilt, I gather that it's better to use the quilt safety pins and then hand baste every 3 inches in both directions - that's what I do and it works just fine. Oh yes, it takes awhile to get all of that basting done but it's well worth it.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter
This weekend I tried Sharon Shambler's method. No taping required http://www.plentifulpennies.com/2010/07/basting.html I'm now a convert :) Probably over the top for a table runner - but great for wall, lap, or bed quilts.
Sharon Shambler's method is what I used on my last 3 quilts - but my last one I basted my boards were not long enough so I used my QSnap frame (which I only use for basting) but started in the middle and still used Sharon's stitches. I love that method and works fantastic for me.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
I always use basting spray when I do wall hangings and lap throws or baby blankets. That helps. On placemats and table runners, I use fusible fleece rather than batting. I send twins and larger out to be long-armed.
I do exactly the same!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
This weekend I tried Sharon Shambler's method. No taping required http://www.plentifulpennies.com/2010/07/basting.html I'm now a convert :) Probably over the top for a table runner - but great for wall, lap, or bed quilts.
I just made a table runner using Sharon Shambles's method as mentioned by Kiwiquilter.

Since I enjoy handwork, the tailor basting type stitch was quick and easy. The results were above and beyond my expectations. I, too, am a convert to this method. :-) With my asthma, I am unable to use the basting sprays. :-([/quote]

Kay, I just went to Sharon's site but cannot find where to order her tute for basting together a quilt sandwich. It says plainly that we cannot copy her pages, etc. Any ideas? Thanks