Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you cut & carry swatches for fabric matching??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-cut-carry-swatches-fabric-matching-t162598.html)

Caswews 10-24-2011 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by connie_1936
i usually cut at least 2' sqs. and and put them in a small baggie. they stay clean and all together

This is how I do it as well, its tiidy, clean and I can put things together easy without trying to tax my brain !LOL

carolynjo 10-24-2011 07:15 AM

I usuallycut a 2" x 2" swatch, but with batiks, the design is sometimes too large to do this. I usually take the fabric with me if I am trying to match a batik.

Joyce29 10-24-2011 08:12 AM

For my last project I happily started buying small amounts of fabrics that I thought might work. As the stack grew, I organized the colors in one of those clear plastic shoe boxes so I could see the fold of each fabric when I opened it up. I ended up with over 20 pieces! (talk about building a stash). I was able to play with them at home and decide which ones I wanted to use. Now, here is the important part. As I bought each piece, I made sure the selvege had all the information about the fabric (company, line, pattern #, etc.). If it wasn't all there, I used a ball point pen to write the info on the selvege of each piece so I wouldn't lose it - I always have to add the Color number as it is not printed on the selvege. Then, when I've decided what I want to do, I can go back and buy more or use the info on the selvege to find more of the fabric on the internet.

SandraQuilts 10-24-2011 08:47 AM

I just gave some friends at retreat this wkd., one of those pretty purse photo things. It's very flat and clicks like a wallet. You open it and there are places for photos, but you can put fabric swatches instead....
They loved them! Wish I had a photo, but don't. They were on sale for 2.00something.

Suzanne Damien 10-24-2011 09:44 AM

I usually tape 1 inch squares on a piece of paper & then they are there when you need them. Also write down how much fabric I need too. Works well for me.

Keep Them In Stitches 10-24-2011 10:15 AM

I take my fabric to the LQS and pull bolts to look for what I need. The ladies there are very helpful.

Patty 10-24-2011 10:25 AM

I put all my swatches in a little baggy and stick in my purse.

quiltbea 10-24-2011 10:26 AM

I use a small flexible, soft photo album with swatches inside the clear windows.

Wunder-Mar 10-24-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
I have a brag book that I use. I cut a piece of cardstock to just fit the pocket. I then use double sided tape to put the piece of fabric on the cardstock. On the card I write how much I have of that fabric. I tape the color dots on the back of the card. If I am working from a planned pattern - i.e. purchasing fabric for a specific pattern - I print out an outline of the quilt blocks on the back too. HTH

This is my system, too - works FABULOUSLY - prevents purchasing excess fabric when budget's tight.

CactusFlower 10-24-2011 11:22 AM

I have put my bits of fabric on a safety pin & put it on my key ring. That way I don't have to dig for it & may not forget to look while in the store.