Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you cut logs for a log cabin and not lose your mind?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-cut-logs-log-cabin-not-lose-your-mind-t249632.html)

QuiltnMyra 07-06-2014 06:15 PM

I cut a bit and sew a bit with all my quilts too Tartan. Works for me. I often tweak the pattern a bit as I go so the job may take an entirely different direction between start and finish.

Yardbird 07-06-2014 06:22 PM

I do it exactly as Nana Up North does it.

ann31039 07-06-2014 07:20 PM

Accuquilt has a log cabin die and a 1 1/2 strip. Either way has to cut the strips to length so I got the strip die. I don't cut to length, I just sew on the strip and trim the blocks as I go. No way would I try a log cabin without the Go cutter. Don't have that kind of patience. The Go is worth its weight in gold for the strips alone.\

ckcowl 07-07-2014 01:31 AM

I usually cut enough to make 2 or 3 blocks to get started, then after making those I cut a few more... I NEVER cut a whole quilt at once! I cut as I need to in order to work on a block. I love Judy's log cabin quilts and have made a few of them... One block at a time

Madan49 07-07-2014 02:39 AM

I use the go cutter log cabin die for mine. LOVE IT! I do so many log cabin blocks for my charity quilts that it saves me a ton of time and effort! Very accurate, so that means no having to go back and square up wonky blocks. Any time I have an extra scrap of fabric that will fit on the die, it gets cut and put with the logs for the next quilt.

quiltmom04 07-07-2014 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble (Post 6788635)
My favorite way to sew log cabin blocks is on a foundation made from printed paper. That eliminates a whole lot of mix ups and cuts the trimming down quite a bit.

Yes, paper piecing gives you finished blocks that are straight and even - mine would sometimes get sort of wonky when I wasn't going for that. I also do log cabin blocks on a muslin backing and cut the strips after they've been sewn, rather than before.

newBe 07-07-2014 04:18 AM

Stable Piecing

My favorite way to sew log cabin blocks is on a foundation made from printed paper. That eliminates a whole lot of mix ups and cuts the trimming down quite a bit.

I'd visited the following location and had purchased Stable Piecing items for a Log Cabin Quilt from them; the foundation may remain in the quilt--if desired. I'm looking forward to beginning that project next! Excellent service by mail order also. http://farmlandquilting.net/stable-piecing/

qwkslver 07-07-2014 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH (Post 6788699)
I love this method and had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder! I have a bunch of 1 1/2" strips cut already so I could make this my leaders and enders project for the next few weeks.

Thanks Jean!

I cut and sew as I go. I have a little dose of ADHD going on and I don't like doing the same thing over and over.

GingerK 07-07-2014 04:34 AM

In honesty, I have only made 1 log cabin. But I found that the block was much more stable when I cut the length that I needed by WOF and then subcut the 1.5 inch strips. So, I would cut lengths of all the colours needed, sub cut them and then make that many blocks and go back and cut another batch. Mixed things up a bit and I didn't have as many strips to keep track of if I had to put it aside for a while.

ManiacQuilter2 07-07-2014 05:03 AM

I AGREE. I made a Log Cabin star from Judy Martins book and actually was able to met with her at Quilt Market 15 years ago and she helped me with the problem I was having with the diamonds. I did another Log Cabin as a QOV by Lynette Jennings and I haven't done another Log Cabin since. If I were to do another one, I would certainly do it PPing. So easy to be off just a smudge and that smudge eventually turns into an 1/8".