Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you cut logs for a log cabin and not lose your mind?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-cut-logs-log-cabin-not-lose-your-mind-t249632.html)

AngelinaMaria 07-06-2014 10:26 AM

How do you cut logs for a log cabin and not lose your mind??

I am working on a Judy Martin log cabin (Summer Lake). I have 32 light and 65 dark fabrics (blues, greens, aquas and teal batiks) and have been starching, pressing, cutting and sorting logs for days now. I have several other Judy Martin log cabins I want to make in the future. How can you do this without losing your mind (and really messing up your back from all the leaning to cut the logs)?

Is there a die for this with the Accu-quilt (or other cutting machine I am not aware of)? I don't have one but would probably consider it if there are 1.5 inch strip dies.

MadQuilter 07-06-2014 10:30 AM

I would draw the pattern on grid paper then mark each position with a number on one side and a letter on the opposite side. Then I would take post-its and mark each corresponding stack with the number or letter. That way you can lay them out in order and sew them in strip-style, one stack at a time.

As for losing my mind - did that a long time ago. lol

PaperPrincess 07-06-2014 10:34 AM

Yes, Accucut makes a die that cuts 1.5" strips by WOF (both Studio and GO!) Personally, I think the strip cutter dies are worth the price of admission. I have 5 or 6 for my studio cutter.
They also make a log cabin die for the GO!
http://www.accuquilt.com/cutting-die...slie-main.html

Prism99 07-06-2014 10:35 AM

Her technique is not for everyone. I started a quilt with her directions and quit cutting when only partially done, as I just couldn't stand it anymore. Also disliked having to keep all the different log lengths separate from each other.

There is an Accuquilt log cabin die, and it cuts the pieces in 1.5" strips. There are some demo's of it on Youtube. I think it would still be tedious to use because of the difficulty in cutting only the particular logs you want out of each fabric.

If and when I decide I want to attempt another Judy Martin log cabin quilt, I will allow myself plenty of time for the cutting -- so I am doing it with large breaks while I work on another quilt. I will also find a better method of organizing the logs for storage.

One thing that might help (I haven't used it yet) is cutting strips and then sub-cutting using the new Guidesline4Quilting positioners: http://www.guidelines4quilting.com/U...ductorySpecial
I figure these would have at least helped me subcut correctly instead of making some cuts 1/4" or 1/2" off.

LyndaOH 07-06-2014 10:36 AM

Accuquilt does have 1.5" strip cutting dies which I've used and been very happy with. I was using them for pineapple blocks. They also have a log cabin die, which I also own but have not used yet.

I love the 1.5" die for a log cabin or pineapple because I can lay all sizes of scraps on the die and cut them at the same time. As long as I don't stack higher than 6 fabrics in any one spot I get perfect cuts with very little waste. And no insanity!

BuzzinBumble 07-06-2014 10:46 AM

My favorite way to sew log cabin blocks is on a foundation made from printed paper. That eliminates a whole lot of mix ups and cuts the trimming down quite a bit.

nanna-up-north 07-06-2014 11:19 AM

I don't cut logs. I sew together long strips to start. Then I cut the strips down to the width for the 1st 2 pieces. Then I add the next color......a long strip with the cut pieces sewn one after another onto that strip. Then I trim them to size and cut the next strip to sew those to. I go on and on..... so much easier.... just keep your colors straight (I usually make one block for a sample). I made a log cabin quilt, queen size, in a week using this method. I can't imagine cutting tons of logs.... that would drive me crazy.

Tartan 07-06-2014 11:30 AM

I tend to alternate cutting and sewing with all of my quilts. My arthritus will act up if I do the same task to long. I also have a short attention span and need to see some progress while making a quilt top or it is in danger of becoming a UFO.

Quiltngolfer 07-06-2014 11:31 AM

I would never use that method! You are a saint to work that hard. I made a log cabin by cutting my strips WOF, then putting the different bags according to color. I cut all my center squares, then started sewing strips to the squares. I cut them apart, then sewed the next strip. It was sort of assembly line and went real fast. I loved making it. I also used 2.5 inch strips. It made a large quilt. Good luck to you. You will be proud of it when you are finished.

LyndaOH 07-06-2014 11:34 AM

I love this method and had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder! I have a bunch of 1 1/2" strips cut already so I could make this my leaders and enders project for the next few weeks.

Thanks Jean!

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 6788676)
I don't cut logs. I sew together long strips to start. Then I cut the strips down to the width for the 1st 2 pieces. Then I add the next color......a long strip with the cut pieces sewn one after another onto that strip. Then I trim them to size and cut the next strip to sew those to. I go on and on..... so much easier.... just keep your colors straight (I usually make one block for a sample). I made a log cabin quilt, queen size, in a week using this method. I can't imagine cutting tons of logs.... that would drive me crazy.