Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you dress for guild meetings? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-dress-guild-meetings-t210933.html)

flowerjoy 01-15-2013 05:15 AM

I live in south Florida and it is still in the low 80's. Our quilt guild meets in the a.m. and most members are retired (some however are young - under 50). We dress for comfort - mostly capri pants, tee shirts, sandals or sneakers; on cool mornings - jeans or other long pant material, tee shirts, sweater and sneakers. We are very casual here. We just go for the fun.
Cherie

pumpkinpatchquilter 01-15-2013 05:17 AM

It is really all over the place at my guild. Some of the ladies come in sweats and some come in dress clothes, jewelry, and full on make up. I think much of it has to do with where you are in life...some are coming from work some are retired...I happen to be a stay at home Mom so sometimes I am thrilled to be getting out of the house so I dress up, other times I'm so exhausted it's a feat to get into jeans!! :) So far...nobody's minded what I wear!!

Morag 01-15-2013 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal (Post 5785483)
Winia... you made me laugh! I agree, other than going naked... it shouldn't matter what a person wears. Some people by nature (not me) like to dress-up. Our quilting group is in slacks, jeans, tops and casual shoes.

DITTO.... We wear whatever we feel comfortable in. I've seen folks all the way from very well dressed to very casually dressed. At quilt camp we wear our PJ's and socks :):)

AlienQuilter 01-15-2013 05:28 AM

A while back I was in a Thimbleberries group. Extremely casual. The only time I ever saw anyone wear a dress was a young lady (early 20's). I remember thinking then that when I was a kid and a group of ladies met, they would all wear dresses, jewelry, makeup and nylons!

When I retired I swore to myself I would never ever wear nylons/pantyhose again! The only time I wear nice slacks and tops is for going to a wedding or a funeral. It's been nearly 15 years since I even wore a dress/skirt.

My standard attire is warm weather: jean capri's, feminine t-shirt and crocks. Cold weather: jeans, sneakers and feminine flannel shirts. I have skin allergies so no make up except for moisturizer for sensitive skin and lipstick. And always a wash and wear hairdo!

LindaR 01-15-2013 05:40 AM

we have a guild jean shirt with our logal on it.....with what ever else LOL

sewbizgirl 01-15-2013 05:42 AM

I would just take my cues from what you saw at your first meeting... I am always more comfortable being overdressed than underdressed. If you don't mind being underdressed then I'm sure no one else will mind your sneakers and jeans.

MarieM 01-15-2013 06:27 AM

Out here in Montana jeans are almost always appropriate, some wear sweats and sneakers are always ok. Of course in winter it's what every you need to wear to stay warm LOL.

Wanabee Quiltin 01-15-2013 06:33 AM

It depends on where you live. I went to guild meetings in the country and they all wore jeans and sneakers. If you go to meetings in the big city, then it's like the guild you went to. Next time, dress better than you did this time. I think it's great that you had such a good meeting. I have gone to two guild groups that were not pleasant, so be happy you enjoyed your group.

WMUTeach 01-15-2013 07:02 AM

Well, I would be one of the over dressed ones at my guild meetings, but we meet in the evenings and I come directly from my office and work at the university. So, I am a little dressed up. We don't seem to notice how we are dressed. On work days we all come in our jeans and sneakers. Ah, that feels so good.

karenpatrick 01-15-2013 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5785532)
I've noticed that how the ladies dress kind of depends on their age. Many of our older members don't wear jeans. It's not that they're "dressed up," they just don't ever wear jeans. The younger members all tend to wear jeans in the winter and capris or shorts in the summer.

This seems to be our guild as well.