Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you find bulk fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-find-bulk-fabrics-t93385.html)

applique 01-25-2011 05:40 AM

I buy bolts wholesale from New England Quilt Supply in Pembroke (sp).

GrammyX3 01-25-2011 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by applique
I buy bolts wholesale from New England Quilt Supply in Pembroke (sp).

applique
I love your avitar! WOW! Beautiful! They are a beautiful creature.

quilter68 01-25-2011 06:42 AM

to quilter 1943
LOVE YOUR AVATAR!

catmcclure 01-25-2011 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by GAgal
I am befuzzled by people on ebay that sell lots of fq and yardage lots of fabric. Where do they get the fabric? It has to be cheap to them so they can sell cheap. Any ideas?

I have a friend who has a commercial account with several fabric vendors (she has to buy the entire bolt). She takes me with her to the vendors' warehouses occasionally and I pick out fabric I would like to buy. She buys the bolts and I reimburse her. I can sometimes buy a 10 yard bolt for what I'd pay for 2 or 3 yards in a LQS.

Vera Seemann 01-25-2011 07:08 AM

I buy my material, for apparel and quilting, at TheClothLoft.com. Nothing over $5.00. Most of it is $2.75 per yard. Very nice material.

BettyGee 01-25-2011 07:55 AM

I love fabric4less, you have to buy the whole bolt; but the prices are really great. I bought two the first time, love the pattern and my last order was for three bolts. I am under strict regulations after this last purchase. DH still does not understand "stash."

Raggiemom 01-25-2011 08:02 AM

I wondered that myself!

craftymatt2 01-25-2011 08:14 AM

Years ago i worked at a fabric store, you just watch the sales and clearance and then buy buy buy. Back when I started buying, calicos were only 2.99 a yard when it went on sale i could get it for maybe .50 to 1.00 yard and i would buy 10 yards of everything if it was muslin at .50 a yard i bought the whole bolt. I have soooo much fabric i doubt i will even get close to using a 1/4 of it. I think i bought just in case we ran out.

quiltmaker 01-25-2011 08:24 AM

My thoughts with dealing with quite a few ebay sellers selling quilt shop quality and top names is that they once had a storefront but the overhead and everything involved with that made them decide to close their shops and sell from their homes/storage facilities because they could make a better profit for themselves plus keeping the prices down for their customers. I know quite a few previous quilt shop owners who did this. Course they still kept their licenses and purchase directly from the vendors in wholesale lots.

thrums 01-25-2011 11:07 AM

I too have been looking for a good source of fabrics. I have found some sites by searching wholesale fabric, but the real mill end outlets have eluded me. :?

You might try local interrior designers. I've been to a shop where designers resell the left-over bolt. You can find some cottons there.

I ran into a lady at a craft fair who used Ralph Lauren (designer sheeting) fabric for her woven "rag" rugs, but she wouldn't share her resource.

Ideas?

Thank you....

:D