Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you know how much to charge someone to make a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-know-how-much-charge-someone-make-quilt-t122349.html)

bobstassi 05-12-2011 05:01 AM

I've done several custom quilts (both t-shirts and memorial quilts). For a charge I calculate how much I will need for materials (sashing, borders, backing, binding, battings, interfacing etc) plus $.02 per inch for quilting, for a twin to full size quilt about $150 to $200. I tell them that is the price for materials. I then tell them I also am charging them $250 or up for my time and labor. The labor charge is based on the complexity of the pattern.

jolo 05-12-2011 05:34 AM

When my quilts are hand pieced or hand appliqued and hand quilted I charge a minimum of $1000 and have been told that I under charged. I have sold many of them. My machine made ones are somewhat cheaper,not that they are not as good or pretty but because they are faster to finish. If I bind a quilt for someone I charge $50 for a hand bound one.

skemmerer 05-12-2011 05:36 AM

I have yet to charge for a quilt. I have made "Gifts" for many and also have had people buy the fabric for smaller items and I have sewn them at no charge. I do sterling silver jewelry and have always used 3X formula on materials. This seems to cover my labor unless I am working on something very intricate. I also do custom stained glass and have found that the most important component is the communication between my customer and myself. Based on the complexity of the project I charge per piece of glass ($1.00) or by the sq foot ($75-$125). I also let them know that although they may say they want a bluish-purple....the final glass choice is mine as the artist, unless they want to go to a store and buy the glass at retail. I would do the same in quilting. I have had long-armers charge me $300 to over $500 on kings for the quilting. Add material cost for a king and your time and I won't sell one of my finished kings for under $1000. Look at what a finished hand made quilt costs, I live near Lancaster, Pa so I can check these prices on a regular basis. Remember people that don't do hand crafts: knitting, sewing....have no concept of your time and the work that goes into a project from design to finished item. Do not short change yourself, if you were a business what would you charge....electric, maintenance on the machines and so on. I know this is a lot but remember you are now opening a door that once you walk through you have committed.
Good Luck!

AngieS 05-12-2011 06:08 AM

WOW! I know there is a lot of time involoved and people that don't do this have no earthly idea. I'm honestly not in a position where I think I can help her right now. If it were summer and I was laid off from work I would say-great. I may be getting laid off but right now I'm just not sure that I can do it with everything else I have going on. I am trying to declutter my house, paint almost my entire house plus put down new floors. We do most everything ourselves so honestly I think I'm just going to tell her that I can't. I really don't think she would want to pay $500 anyway. I signed up to do the Boom 5 and want to devote what sewing time I can to that. ;) Thank you all for your help. I will definately keep all of these ideas in mind if I go to do some work for anyone later on. Fabric is expensive and time isn't cheap....you can't get it back that is for sure.

Thanks.
Angie

katlady 05-12-2011 06:10 AM

Three times what all the fabrics & material cost to make the quilt. (That includes the pattern & thread).

Maralyn 05-12-2011 06:21 AM

Although I have a long-arm business and would rather finish quilts than make for a customer, this does occasionally happen. Several years ago I had a customer who wanted five quilts made from her father's clothing, i.e. shirts and blue jeans. I estimated hours of cutting clothing, hours of sewing, backing and batting costs, quilting and binding. They were relatively small quilts (not even twin size). My final price was within $25 of the estimate and the final cost was over $1000. So, in this example the cost of the fabric wasn't a factor, but I was so proud of myself for coming so close to the estimate.

cheyanne4 05-12-2011 06:31 AM

I charge $13 to $25 per hr. start to finish. That includes every thing. According to how difficult pattern is. Thats the going rate here in the midwest.

SWChick 05-12-2011 06:45 AM

Boy have I been undepricing my items. I am working on a applique queensize and the top has cost me 200.00 in fabric, I haven't bought the batting or backing yet but figure that will cost me around 100.00. I will have it LAQ so I am estimating 200.00 for that. I had thought to put the price at 1000.00, double the cost. The pattern is my own design, a SW desert scence with a running wild horse. I had not thought about thread cost, the fact that most is appliqued and that it was my own design. I have 5 hrs so far and have just got the applique piece pressed down. I don't know if I could sell it if I went up much more. I am planning on putting a invoice pinned to back with amount of fabric used, batting, and LAQ, with the amount of hrs. This is a quilt that has been running around in my head for some time, have to make it. It is not one I want to keep or give to away. So now what do i charge?

MelodyWB 05-12-2011 06:51 AM

When I make a quilt for someone..I estimate the cost of fabric and all that it takes to make..then double it..Take it from experience..take 1/2 up front and the balance on delivery..people you know the best.. will be the ones you won't get your money from if you don't do this..I've had 2 people in the past who never followed through..with 1/2 up front..the material is at least paid for!! Good Luck!!

Lavada 05-12-2011 07:40 AM

i have really undercharged for quilts i have done so thanks girls for the advice