Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you know how much to charge someone to make a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-know-how-much-charge-someone-make-quilt-t122349.html)

AngieS 05-13-2011 05:23 AM

Great ideas. Thank you all. ;)

Farm Quilter 05-13-2011 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by AngieS
I have a lady that is wanting me to make her a full/queen or even a twin size quilt with Lady Bugs on it. I have the pattern but now, how do I go about telling her how much it will cost? I've never done this before.

Any help would be great.

I have done this and charge this way (just putting in numbers so it makes sense, not actual cost though):

Cost of material $100
Labor to piece $300 (3 times the cost of the material)
Cost of batting $ 30 (actual cost)
Cost of quilting - normal longarm charges of 1.5-8 cents per square inch
Binding - 25 cents per linear inch

Look on Etsy and other places online to see what fiber artists charge for their work. People see quilts in Wal-Mart for $30 and expect you to be able to make them one for the same price, so expect some sticker shock when you tell her the price!!

snipforfun 05-13-2011 06:52 AM

I look at my pattern's fabric requirements, triple that at current yardage prices, even if some comes from old stash. Then I add on the price I paid the longarmer, batting and and embellishments then round it up to the next $50. Thats the way I do it and Im stickin' to it!

Peckish 05-13-2011 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
I used to make Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls many years ago. Someone asked me to make her a pair and asked "how much"....I told her and she was shocked that I would ask that price and that I should not charge "as much" since my love of sewing gives me personal pleasure! Needless to say I never did make those for her... the nerve! LOL!!
sandy

So the only time you should be able to make money is if you're miserable doing it??? ROFL!!! Some people!

AngieS 05-13-2011 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
I used to make Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls many years ago. Someone asked me to make her a pair and asked "how much"....I told her and she was shocked that I would ask that price and that I should not charge "as much" since my love of sewing gives me personal pleasure! Needless to say I never did make those for her... the nerve! LOL!!
sandy

So the only time you should be able to make money is if you're miserable doing it??? ROFL!!! Some people!

Really! That is crazy! I'm sure they wouldn't do anything for free that took them 30 + hours to do either. (I'm pretty slow going on things. ) lol

:shock:

jpthequilter 05-13-2011 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by AngieS

Originally Posted by jbud2
I don't know what to tell you to charge the lady to make the quilt. You've got the expense of the materials (fabric, thread, batting) and your own time and the machine time. Whatever you do, from what I have read on here, tell her up front what the cost will before doing anything, and get a deposit. Most folks just don't realize how much it really costs to make a quilt!

I agree. That's why I was wondering and wanting to ask you all on here. Also, I don't FMQ yet either. So, if she wanted it from me it would be SID or someone else would have to do it.

Anyone else intersted in doing a quilt for someone? LOL

Make just the top, and have her pay for just that and have her send it to the longarm quilter.
TRIPLE the full cost of the fabric involved for a general idea beginning cost...
add more if you got the fabric on sale and/or are making a complicated pattern....

sewingsuz 05-13-2011 06:19 PM

# times the cost of all the materials is the very least I would charge and get half up front.

ging10ging 05-15-2011 10:44 AM

It's hard to know what to charge because a lot of time when people find out how much things cost they don't want it. I've had that happen to me with my baby crochet sets they love it but find out how much and they never come back. My advice to you is tell her how much the materials will cost and then see if they still want to do it and then make sure you tell them x amt of $$ for labor. I would really try hard to get at least the cost of the materials so they show they are really interested. You don't want to finish it and they say oh no I can't afford this. It is very hard sometimes especially if it's a friend or a co-worker I got stuck a couple of times with co-workers and then it makes you leary to do anything. Most people seem to be pretty good. They just don't realize the work and expense in a quilt or other hand work. Good Luck. Sue

Sandygirl 05-15-2011 11:47 AM

I was shopping yesterday and someone who knew me casually admired my fabric tote/purse. She asked me if I sewed purses for others and I quickly replied that, no, I do not. I then explained that the purse she admired had about 8 hours of labor in it. She completely understood what I was talking about. whew! She was very nice about it to.
sandy

travelingquilter 05-15-2011 09:32 PM

I INQUIRED AT A LOCAL QUILT SHOP. they said measure the square inches in your quilt size....times.016 per inch and that is what they charge. they only do the all over patterns they have-- nothing personal or intricate!