Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you lay out quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-lay-out-quilts-t86760.html)

MiMi in Lutz 01-02-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
OK, here goes, this works for me. Even though my dining room table is not always large enough, I work from the center out when pining or basting. Once the center is stabilized I pull it whatever direction I need to go to finish the sides, top and bottom. Remember to put something on the table to protect it from pins and needles.

Your idea sounds good, and I will try from the center the next time. I have one suggestion - remember the folding heavy cardboard cutting mats we use to use before the plastic mats came out? They still make those things and I bought one to do my sandwich making on. Can use it when spraying the basting spray and not worry about having to clean it off. And it is a heck of alot lighter than working with a wood board..also can be folded up and not take up so much space when storing it. Make sure any overspray is dry before folding it up.

CruisingStef 01-02-2011 05:25 PM

I also bought the table from JoAnn's @ 50% off! What a buy. At 50+ my knees no longer will let me get on hands & knees, which I use to do when I was younger. Ive started using the basting spray, and it works like a dream. I tape my bottom section down with blue painters tape, and spray in 1/4 sections.
It's so easy and so fast now after using pins to baste.
Stephanie

kwiltkrazy 01-02-2011 05:38 PM

I t-pin the backing to the floor, lay the batting on top, smooth it all out and put the top on top and then pin every 3 inches, sometimes closer if I need to straighten out something.

I wish that I had a way to put it on the wall and use spray basting, I have no free walls.

madamekelly 01-02-2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
I too once knelt on the floor and like you have knees that would weep if I tried that these days.
I distribute the blocks on the floor and move them around with a long dowel til I have an arrangement I like.
Better is when the large conference room at my library is not being used and I can shove a bunch of long tables together.

I gotta call the library tomorrow! Thanks!

grammy17 01-02-2011 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
OK, here goes, this works for me. Even though my dining room table is not always large enough, I work from the center out when pining or basting. Once the center is stabilized I pull it whatever direction I need to go to finish the sides, top and bottom. Remember to put something on the table to protect it from pins and needles.

I have a folding cardboard cutting board that I put on top of my dining room table. Then pull out a couple chairs and put books and canisters on them until they are table height. Push the cardboard over as far as I can to rest on the 'extenders'. This can make my table 3 ft wider. Then do the best I can.

CRicart 01-02-2011 06:57 PM

I sandwich on the floor in my basement, on a big scrap of carpet laid on the cement. Not too hard on the knees.
I also use those strap-on knee pads carpenters and painters use- your local hardware store has several styles, as does Lowe's.

CMARAS1234 01-02-2011 07:22 PM

HOW ABOUT USING A BASTING FRAME.. WORKS FOR ME... If I have a basement or garage I hang it by four corners from the ceiling, so I can walk around it ... (secure the corners by drilling a hole and use wing nuts), by ropes. when I Am finished I wind the rope around the corners, to the ceiling If not ,I put it on tops of four chairs, and use c clamps for the corners. I staple a piece of muslin on all four boards and pin back and batting to it TAUNT on the edges, then i repin the top on ,starting in the middle. Oh Yes I staple a 120 in tape measure on the boards (2x2) to be sure the quilet is centered...Hope this helps.
/ AN OLD QUILTER

IBQUILTIN 01-02-2011 07:33 PM

I have two banquet size collapsable tables that store under my cutting counter. They work great, then go away

Lucy90 01-02-2011 07:34 PM

I also have a pool table, but I had the board cut in half so it is easier to move if we want to play pool. Also the tables from Jo Ann or Target work great. I can't get on the floor like I used to either. If I have a large quilt I'm like one lady, start from the middle and work outward as I move the quilt. Good luck!!

marlene tarzwell 01-02-2011 07:50 PM

In our home we spend of our time in our large den[I usually am in my craft or sewing room anyways] so even with a bunch of large German furniture[ie. shrunk etc.] I am able to fit 6 , 4ft folding tables. { I do have to tip up my large coffee table onto the sofa}and if I have to move my Love seat I can even get 2 more tables up. I can put my 6 really big mats over the edges in the middle. Works great. Plus the tables are adjustable which really helps my bad back. Just cant do the floors anymore cause if I get down on my knees, I cant get up because of Osteoarthritis. So I am pretty well set for layout space.