Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you organize your leader's and ender's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-organize-your-leaders-enders-t242522.html)

onaemtnest 03-04-2014 11:12 AM

How do you organize your leader's and ender's

Those that use Bonnie Hunter's Leader's and Ender's method has me wondering where you keep the scraps near to the machine that you are sewing together, yet out of the way of your current project? Then once you snip the scraps your sewing from the machine do you put them in yet another container for the next step or back into the container with the scraps?

I don't have a lot of free space around my machine, with a lap-top...sewing notions carousal that has things I use a lot like the seam ripper :0), snips etc...

I'm sewing 2" squares, which will eventually need to sewn into four patches. I'm hoping that some of you will share your method's. One of the member buddies here tells me she uses a shoe box that seems like a good idea but I imagine there are even different ideas out there.

mckwilter 03-04-2014 11:32 AM

I have a pad that my machine sits on which has an overhang that has pockets on the front. I use batting scraps as my leaders and enders, so I just cut strips of batting about 2" wide, fold up the strips, and put them in a pocket. When I snip off the used leader, I place it in the pocket next to the unused batting so it is there when I need it. When a used leader becomes full, I toss it, snip off a new one and continue sewing. I don't use fabric scraps anymore.

SewExtremeSeams 03-04-2014 11:33 AM

Along for the suggestions....

DebraK 03-04-2014 11:38 AM

I use a berry basket. It fits nicely into the tray where I keep tools like rippers, snips, tweezers etc., beside my machine. I have another larger basket for 2" strips and patches on my fabric shelf and just refill the berry basket from that one as needed.

luvTooQuilt 03-04-2014 11:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
i use these lil baskets i got at garage sales ( walmart and dollar store sells them)
Holds 2x2 perfectly
...[ATTACH=CONFIG]465679[/ATTACH]
and ill use a lil shoe box with a lid for non specific ones when im doing a MASS GO cutting of leaders and enders 2x2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]465682[/ATTACH] ....

Ill use the plastic inserts of clean Chips ahoy cookie packages to hold 2.5
...[ATTACH=CONFIG]465680[/ATTACH].....

luvTooQuilt 03-04-2014 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have one box w/lid for unsewn and another 'container' like the above for sewn..When not using ill cover them with the lid.. but mostly it stays open.. when im done sewing ill stack them neatly and store them in a sterilte drawer
i keep sewing those till i reach 8x8 or 16x16.. depends on what im in the mood to make..
any leftovers gets sewn into borders..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]465687[/ATTACH]...........

DebraK 03-04-2014 12:56 PM

luvTooQuilt, wow, I like what you're working on!

sew4nin 03-04-2014 01:09 PM

I keep my main project on the counter to the left of my machine, My leader ender project/s is on the counter to the right so I always have it withing reach.

erstan947 03-04-2014 02:07 PM

The neat part of putting together quilt blocks as leader and enders is you don't waste thread and you are building units for another quilt. I use a plastic shoe box to keep units ready to use.....within arms reach of my machine.

ube quilting 03-04-2014 02:29 PM

I keep my L&Es in a small wash basket ( about the size of a shoe box) under my sewing table and pull out a handful at a time when sewing and they go back into another small wash basket after they are sewn, to be use at a later time.
peace

EDIT: Love the postage stamp w/ orange !!!