Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you organize your Quilting Books? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-organize-your-quilting-books-t94290.html)

BluegrassGurl 01-27-2011 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by quilterella
By author, that way if I want E.Burns, I pick her, or who ever. Magazines are by chronological order and name, Fons and Porter are all together etc. And then I have a miscellaneous section for the odds and ends.

Ditto.

pookie ookie 01-27-2011 06:15 PM

I organize by purging the chaff. What's left behind is shelved as "Antiques" or "To Do."

I don't think I've ever kept more than 30 quilt books at a time. I used to have a massive library of non-fiction. Now I feel that's clutter and try to keep it real.

tutty 01-27-2011 08:18 PM

Pretty much by subject and of cours notebooks full of stuff I need to sift through. Added sewing so keeping that seperate. Mag's and patterns seperate too. Stickies which I mark on top for who I'm thinking its for etc. Oh boy do I have a lot of stickies sticking out !! A lot are just ones I want to make ! sew.......

lclang 01-27-2011 08:59 PM

My shelves are different heights so I just put them where they will fit...The titles of the books are all on the back so it isn't a problem to find the one I want.

GrammaO 01-27-2011 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Threadedneedle
They're supposed to be organized?

My thoughts exactly! I am just thankful they are on a bookshelf; as opposed to the floor, counter, back of the toilet (which is the current location of my Jelly Roll Quilts book) I am in awe of those of you who categorize, alphabetize and all that other 'ize'. Wow.

Aurora 01-28-2011 02:17 AM

By subject, then alphabetically.

I don't think it really matters, as long as you can find the book you are looking for. It should be whatever way works best for you.

MerryQuilter 01-28-2011 02:31 AM

I do according to authors , also types bought a really cute corner cupboard at garage sale that I put them in, love to be able to find them.

erma bauer 01-28-2011 02:51 AM

by year in marked 3 ring binders. you can buy plastic seperators that go in the binders then slip your magazines into them. i put the name of the company on a label and attach to spine of binder.(mccalls, fons and porter, etc).and the dates, (1997 to 2000, for instance). i find this is very organized and convenient as i have them on a shelf and can find at a glance what i am looking for.

lizzy 01-28-2011 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
Mine are just grouped by subject - hand quilting, machine quilting, art quits, applique, celtic, paper piecing, and eventually just "leftovers" that didn't fit into any other group.

That is how I try to keep mine organized. It doesn't always work when I go to file them back in the bookcase. ;)

Heather Hayllar 01-28-2011 03:09 AM

Mine are kept on a bookshelf, the magazines in chronological order. The books in order of size! Large together and gradiating down to small.
Thats how this bookworm keeps all her books though :mrgreen:

Heather
In Australia