Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you organize your Quilting Books? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-organize-your-quilting-books-t94290.html)

lakesidequilter 01-28-2011 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I organize my quilting books mostly by subject matter; like applique, piecing, basic instructions, quilting ideas, etc.

Originally Posted by G-Maw Wilda
I am getting ready to move all of mine and was wondering how other people organize their Quilting Books. At the present time I just have them in stacks, no particular order to them, but I am going to move them to a bookcase. I need to get my sewing room organized and cleaned. It is a disaster area.

G-Maw Wilda

Lots and Lots of Books!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112217[/ATTACH]

atvrider 01-28-2011 07:34 AM

I like not to organize them, that way I spend a few hours looking through each one.

Diane C. 01-28-2011 07:46 AM

Mine are totally disorganized. One of the shelves was so heavy it broke the little pegs that hold it in place,and of couse that broke down the shelf underneath. I think I am going to organize by author and get DH to makea few shelf supports. Does anybody know if you could make a spread sheet and organize them that way? not a computer nerd! Diane C.

Rainbow 01-28-2011 08:38 AM

Keep a separate note book with project names you REALLY LIKE and put the book/page down for it....I find that works WELL !!!

Originally Posted by creativesheila
Oh, and how do you remember what you liked and where to find it? That's my biggest problem. I go to look for something and spend several hours having fun looking through the books. Not very efficent even though I have a good time. Should I keep some kind of index?

Rainbow 01-28-2011 08:40 AM

For magazines, I use the MANY EXTRA address labels, folded and stuck to the top (or side) of magazines with the name of the quilt written on the edge.

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
If I have more than one book by an author, I keep those together. After that, it's by subject. I haven't figured out how to do the magazines yet as I don't have shelf space for them all... So at present they are stacked on the floor in front of the bookcase. Maybe one day I'll get totally organized.

gal288 01-28-2011 08:41 AM

Books, technique,alphabetical, Magazines, I purchased at Staples 3" binders, top loading page sleeves, computer printable labels. Set up a binder for each magazine, as I read each magazine, I immediately remove the quilt pattern, how-to,etc., place it in a sleeve, add it to the appropriate binder. I type up a label with name, technique, size,, etc, and place it on the front of the binder. I also set up a binder for my previous EQ designs. And one for all the quilts I have made, with a picture of the quilt, and scraps of material left over in case a repair is needed. I also indicate who I gave the quilt to for future reference. In word Excel I created a cross reference spreadsheet, set up by teacnique for quick reference, indicating which binder it is in. I have been saving quilt info this way for over 20 years,, now have more than 15 binders, and can easily locate something, have no piles laying around, everything is on shelves with each binder labeled.

imjustme 01-28-2011 08:42 AM

lol too funny

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Mine are in no way organized at all. Unless you count "bedroom, bathroom, sewing room, kitchen..." All places you might find a quilting book or magazine around here. LOL***

JUNEC 01-28-2011 08:47 AM

I have mine organized by category - I have recycled medium flat rate boxes to put my books in. I cut them down and covered them with wrapping paper.

catmcclure 01-28-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by G-Maw Wilda
I am getting ready to move all of mine and was wondering how other people organize their Quilting Books. At the present time I just have them in stacks, no particular order to them, but I am going to move them to a bookcase. I need to get my sewing room organized and cleaned. It is a disaster area.

G-Maw Wilda

"Organize"??? I don't know that word. What does it mean?

catrancher 01-28-2011 09:18 AM

Mine are by topic, and they are on shelves my husband built for me. I need more shelving in my sewing room though--not for books, but for supplies in general. I have an idea about how to do it. Now it just requires cubic dollars.