Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you organize your Quilting Books? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-organize-your-quilting-books-t94290.html)

GrammaO 01-28-2011 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
Books, technique,alphabetical, Magazines, I purchased at Staples 3" binders, top loading page sleeves, computer printable labels. Set up a binder for each magazine, as I read each magazine, I immediately remove the quilt pattern, how-to,etc., place it in a sleeve, add it to the appropriate binder. I type up a label with name, technique, size,, etc, and place it on the front of the binder. I also set up a binder for my previous EQ designs. And one for all the quilts I have made, with a picture of the quilt, and scraps of material left over in case a repair is needed. I also indicate who I gave the quilt to for future reference. In word Excel I created a cross reference spreadsheet, set up by teacnique for quick reference, indicating which binder it is in. I have been saving quilt info this way for over 20 years,, now have more than 15 binders, and can easily locate something, have no piles laying around, everything is on shelves with each binder labeled.

You are my hero!

:lol:

grann of 6 01-28-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
Books, technique,alphabetical, Magazines, I purchased at Staples 3" binders, top loading page sleeves, computer printable labels. Set up a binder for each magazine, as I read each magazine, I immediately remove the quilt pattern, how-to,etc., place it in a sleeve, add it to the appropriate binder. I type up a label with name, technique, size,, etc, and place it on the front of the binder. I also set up a binder for my previous EQ designs. And one for all the quilts I have made, with a picture of the quilt, and scraps of material left over in case a repair is needed. I also indicate who I gave the quilt to for future reference. In word Excel I created a cross reference spreadsheet, set up by teacnique for quick reference, indicating which binder it is in. I have been saving quilt info this way for over 20 years,, now have more than 15 binders, and can easily locate something, have no piles laying around, everything is on shelves with each binder labeled.

Very admirable of you! When do you have time to quilt?

quiltingbeargal 01-28-2011 09:45 AM

I have almost as many quilt history books as I do quilt patterns/techniques books so they are kept on separate bookshelves in different rooms. The techniques and patterns are in my sewing room shelves, categorized by piecing, applique, color studies or general. My basic all in one how to do quilting stuff book is the easiest to get to since it is the one I refer to most often.

My quilt history books, plus several oversized books that won't fit sitting up on a regular bookshelf, are in the bookcase in the den. This is where I sit while browsing through the antique quilt photos and stories at my leisure dreaming of replicating some of those designs.

By the way, I keep an inventory of my quilting books on http://www.librarything.com. It's a free service and easy to use. Also, it helps prevent me from buying a duplicate book if I check my list before making a purchase.

Joanie2 01-28-2011 09:50 AM

I organize my books in a bookcase by subject - all those on scrappy quilts are together because that's what I'm most interesting in lately. All others are by author. I do have a few that I use all the time like Around the Block by Judy Hopkins and Block Magic books by Nancy Johnson-Srebro and have had them spiral bound for easier use. These books take up one shelf. Then I've changed my plan on magazines. They are in cardboard magazine holders labeled by the name of the magazine. I no longer keep every issue and those I do keep all have little sticky things with markings -- all those containing a bag pattern are marked as such so I can find them quickly. Any magazines that I just have a few of are grouped together. And then all the books that I use rarely but am not ready to part with are in a totally different space. Oh, and I also keep 3 large white spiral notebooks with plastic pages that are designated as applique, pieced pages taken from discarded magazines and blocks or quilts from classes or guilds. I look through all of this stuff often when I'm searching for an idea.

cjaye44 01-28-2011 10:43 AM

Mine are pretty much organized by subject in two bookcases with a lot of bookmarks for projects I might one day be interested in starting. But they also seem to migrate to other parts of the house. There are days when I don't want to really sew just browse. Then I pull a half dozen or so books, get a cup of coffee and relax in my easy chair.

Mkotch 01-28-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Diane C.
Mine are totally disorganized. One of the shelves was so heavy it broke the little pegs that hold it in place,and of couse that broke down the shelf underneath. I think I am going to organize by author and get DH to makea few shelf supports. Does anybody know if you could make a spread sheet and organize them that way? not a computer nerd! Diane C.

Try librarything.com

GagaSmith 01-28-2011 01:02 PM

I don't have a lot of books but do have many magazines. I take a large post it note and as i read the magazine i write down the page and subject or title of what interests me. Then i stick it inside the front cover. Occasionally if i go thru the magazine again, i might see something else i missed the first time and just add it to the list.

Helen Bankert 01-28-2011 01:06 PM

My books are arranged by subject. I like to be able to find a given pattern at any time. So I have made a index on my computer in excel. I have listed every quilt pattern, that I have. First I did each pattern, the book, and the page. I did this for all the books. I also have binders with sleeves in them. I did the same for each of them. Now if I want to make a pineapple quilt I type in pineapple pattern and excell tells me that I have 6 difference places that I can find the pattern, in which book, or binder and the page. It takes time to organize this data but is well worth the effort, as you just look at 6 different quilts all in the same pattern and get ideas real easy.

quilt3311 01-28-2011 01:35 PM

I have a list on the computer, the actual books are pile filed by what I am doing at the time. Example if I am doing applique, I pile file applique books close by. etc.

deema 01-28-2011 01:37 PM

lol I don't have enough to require any kind of organization...but somehow, they're still all over the place.