Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you organize your Quilting Books? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-organize-your-quilting-books-t94290.html)

JeanieG 01-28-2011 04:44 PM

[quote=Hen3rietta]

For finding things, I like to use sticky notes that I place so they stick out beyond the top edge of the book.

I do this too. I put the colored sticky flags on things I have made, and another color for those I would like to make or are worth another look.

ergranny46 01-28-2011 06:21 PM

I always wanted to buy those hard plastic magazine holders to put mine in. But they are so expensive I couldn't afford them. Well one day I saw these hard cardboard holders at Dollar General that hold merchandise, and bingo, it hit me. I asked the clerk what they did with them. She said they tossed them, so I asked if I could have them. I covered them with contact paper and labeled them. Now my mags are labeled, christmas, scrap, vintage, etc. and they're standing up in the bookcase. No Cost. Except the contact paper.

patimint 01-28-2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by creativesheila
Oh, and how do you remember what you liked and where to find it? That's my biggest problem. I go to look for something and spend several hours having fun looking through the books. Not very efficent even though I have a good time. Should I keep some kind of index?

On the books, I use a sticky note/notes that have the name of quilt & page # on it. On my magazines, I just write the page# right on the magazine and usualy add a note as to who I plan to make quilt for. Works for me. Otherwise, each time I go to look for a pattern, technique, ect. I spend all day looking at my books and magazines.

Gabrielle's Mimi 01-28-2011 06:25 PM

Like many of the people posting on this thread, I keep my books in categories (baby, applique, techniques, precuts, Christmas, serger, scrappy, etc.) then by author's last name in each category. But what I do differently is to type each category into my label-making machine and print out the category name. Then I affix the label to the bookshelf so I can locate that group easily. I also have a master list in my computer which I update faithfully every time I purchase something. I take this list with me when I shop to prevent duplicate purchases.

MadQuilter 01-28-2011 06:30 PM

I have mine by type. All of my quilting only books are together. All of my basic instructional books, traditional quilts, quilts with animals, applique, special techniques.... I don't have that many that I can't scan them for what I need.

Rann 01-28-2011 08:14 PM

By my bed, by my recliner, on top of old sewing cabinet, on top of desk, in bathroom, etc.

Gerbie 01-28-2011 08:37 PM

Good Donna, now can you tell us if you have an index system set up for them, and explain how you did that?
Not trying to be funny or cute about this, but I have a lot of quilting patterns in 3 ring binders and just listed some on the label of the binder, I would really like to get them set up much better. All of these are in plastic sleeves to keep them from getting wrinkled or torn. Any suggestions qould be appreciated.

fabricmaniac 01-28-2011 08:42 PM

I just added a new book to my computer database bringing my book collection (not magazines) to 300 even!! They are all in order in two bookcases by subject/technique.. art, piecing, juvenile, applique, redwork, etc. I will also tag particular projects or information with the small sticky tags.My database gives where and when I bought it and especially who borrowed it! I have lost books in the past by forgetting who I loaned them too. I will also enter into another computer list those projects I want to do some day giving the book or magazine's title, page, etc. My sewing room is not huge but well organized. I "usually" know where everything is.... usually!

SnowQuilt 01-28-2011 08:46 PM

I have mine on a bookshelf, orgainzed by size from the biggest to the smallest.

Daisy144 01-28-2011 08:51 PM

I organize by subject - 30's - crazy - etc. I also have all sorts of patterns printed from the computer (both quilt patterns and cross stitch patterns) these are in plastic sleeves and binders of like patterns - I currently have 30 notebooks and growing - I also have so many quilt magazines that I intend to start tearing out patterns to add to the binders - that way I can get rid of stacks of magazines and be able to locate patterns I want without looking through 5 feet of magazines. - I keep most of my books in a floor to ceiling bookcase in my computer room but I also have two metal shelves that is full to the gills also - too many books