Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you organize your Quilting Books? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-organize-your-quilting-books-t94290.html)

Judie 01-28-2011 09:54 PM

I just re-organized mine.. by subject.. and/or technique. I have all the baby and children's book together.. all art books together.. of course there are always those that really don't fit any catagory.. so I have them all together. When I sit in my room and thumb through my books, I use sticky notes to help me find those things I'll want to find again! I love just to sit and look through my books.. they are good friends. I keep my quilting books in one bookcase.. my other sewing, knitting, crochet, wood carving, basketry, needlepoint, etc. in another bookcase. Works for me. I can generally find what I want, when I want to find it!!

snicktrain 01-28-2011 11:16 PM

Organized??? You mean we're supposed to organize them? Mine are in a bookcase, does that count??

Mimmis57 01-29-2011 03:15 AM

I use the book holders and put them in binders.

JAGSD 01-29-2011 05:48 AM

My books are pretty much same Author together and then technique together. Patterns recieved or copied off the internet are all 3 Ring Binders in plastic sheets. It's the magazines that are driving me CRAZY!!
I have read some really good ideas here.. so now maybe the will come into some kind of liveable order.....
Thanks for ALL of your postings!

bethanywoman 01-29-2011 05:57 AM

Books, loosely sorted by technique (applique, scrappy, etc.), softcover (leaflet type) in a stack, series ("great american quilts")in their own place, printouts (generally from manufacturers free designs), and magazines in holders (pick up from thrift stores )by publication. Regular or book-size softcovers go upright with the hardbacks and the "thin" softcovers go on the stack. I found when I organized all the softcovers (skinny) upright, they would disappear. The magazine holders are sorted by publication but I don't bother to put in chronological order. It boils down to a system that works for you because if you spend all your time searching when do you get to quilt?

Scrap Happy 01-29-2011 06:12 AM

I'm haven't read all of the posts so this may have been mentioned already.

I have a book shelf and have hardbacks separated from paperbacks. Some of the larger pretty covers are facing out. The magazines in binders (I bought them a long time ago and they clip into the binder) and are in order by date. You could use empty tide boxes to put magazines in too - if they look ugly you could cover them. The handle makes it easier to carry/move. I have the magazines in order from oldest too newest. It's been a long time since I've picked up a new book or magazine. I received a couple antique irons as gifts and am using them as book ends.

retrogirl02 01-29-2011 06:38 AM

G-Maw,
Good question! I organize in subjects, as I see many others do...my eye level shelf is for the most current, recently purchased & most frequently viewed. I have a section for each subject on that shelf, then they are moved to the lower shelves when I complete the project in mind or I just want to change it up a bit.
=)

quiltmom04 01-29-2011 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
Mine are just grouped by subject - hand quilting, machine quilting, art quits, applique, celtic, paper piecing, and eventually just "leftovers" that didn't fit into any other group.

Yeah, mine too. And if there are several in a catagory (i.e. paper piecing) I try to keep the same authors together.

jojosnana 01-29-2011 12:40 PM

I have mine by author. It seems that I go for the same ones a lot. Then by technique if I don't have multiples. Magazines are in holders by type of magazine and date of arrival. Of course there are a lot of misc. books and those kind of go at the end.

penski 01-29-2011 02:31 PM

mine are on a book shelf in a order as to what they are about ie quilting , patterns, trapunto, tips, ect all the books are facing the way that if i need a referance while working on something i can look over see the name of the book and grab it