Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you respond to ...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-respond-t24092.html)

sew_lulu 08-13-2009 05:39 AM

a question from friends or rather acquaintance who are asking for a quilt?

I've been making for my friends and family since I started quilting but at the rate I'm going, I don't hink I'll be able to make one for everyone I know.

I'm just feeling obligated to make one just b/c I'm asked. What would you do?

amandasgramma 08-13-2009 05:54 AM

I've run into the same problem when I was making stained glass projects. Ironically, the people asking wouldn't suggest that they'd have to pay for it!!! I'd say you really don't have time to make one with all the obligations you already have but that when and if you have time, you'll contact them. And you might have the name of a friend that IS interested in quilting for people for $$ and suggest they contact that person.

SaraSewing 08-13-2009 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I've run into the same problem when I was making stained glass projects. Ironically, the people asking wouldn't suggest that they'd have to pay for it!!! I'd say you really don't have time to make one with all the obligations you already have but that when and if you have time, you'll contact them. And you might have the name of a friend that IS interested in quilting for people for $$ and suggest they contact that person.

Amen.

But what's wrong with "I don't think you can afford me!"

Mamaskeeto 08-13-2009 06:13 AM

I always have people ask me to make quilts. They always seem to want what I am currently working on and in the same colors. I usually tell them this is a one of a kind quilt for whoever but if they want a quilt in this pattern then I would be more than happy to give them the fabric requirements so they can select their colors and it will be X amount of dollars for the quilting (amount is based on the size of quilt) and that it would probally be 12 - 18 months before I could get to it. They all seem to want to take me up on the offer but since I started telling my friends this only one person has taken me up on my offer.

jdavis 08-13-2009 06:20 AM

Put on your most inspiring face (and tone of voice), and suggest that they could make it themselves. Don't forget to mention that quilt shop prices are up over $9.00/yard, not like prices were when we were in high school, sewing garments for home economics class.

Maribeth 08-13-2009 06:43 AM

I don't feel obligated at all. In fact, I find it kind of annoying when people see the bags or quilt tops I have made and ask if/when I could make one for then, expecting that it will be free, and when I mention that materials and my time cost, some have actually said they wouldn't expect me to charge them. Now I am always speechless, even though it has happened several times. So, when I recover I just repeat that this is an expensive and time consuming hobby of mine and I can't support them as well, but I could let them know my prices and they can decide for themselves. IMHO, they don't seem to understand the work involved, as well as the money, and they probably wouldn't even appreciate it so don't let it bother you. :D

Knot Sew 08-13-2009 06:45 AM

I just say no I don't have time and I don't sell them. because its a very expensive hobby. Unless they are dense they get it :D

Ninnie 08-13-2009 06:50 AM

This happened to me just last night. A lady whom I hardly know, ask me to make her a quilt. I politely told her I no longer quilt for other people, but I would be glad to help her and show her how to make her own. She then proceeded to tell me that she didn't have the time! :shock: :shock:
those who don't quilt, don't understand the cost and time that it takes, and don't mind using others.

mytwopals 08-13-2009 06:50 AM

I just ask them, if they have $500. If they say no, which they always do, I say there's your answer. If they ever say yes, I'll take the $500 and make them a quilt.

Shemjo 08-13-2009 06:53 AM

WOW! People never cease to amaze me! :lol: