Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you respond to ......

a question from friends or rather acquaintance who are asking for a quilt?

I've been making for my friends and family since I started quilting but at the rate I'm going, I don't hink I'll be able to make one for everyone I know.

I'm just feeling obligated to make one just b/c I'm asked. What would you do?

I've run into the same problem when I was making stained glass projects. Ironically, the people asking wouldn't suggest that they'd have to pay for it!!! I'd say you really don't have time to make one with all the obligations you already have but that when and if you have time, you'll contact them. And you might have the name of a friend that IS interested in quilting for people for $$ and suggest they contact that person.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I've run into the same problem when I was making stained glass projects. Ironically, the people asking wouldn't suggest that they'd have to pay for it!!! I'd say you really don't have time to make one with all the obligations you already have but that when and if you have time, you'll contact them. And you might have the name of a friend that IS interested in quilting for people for $$ and suggest they contact that person.
    Amen.

But what's wrong with "I don't think you can afford me!"

I always have people ask me to make quilts. They always seem to want what I am currently working on and in the same colors. I usually tell them this is a one of a kind quilt for whoever but if they want a quilt in this pattern then I would be more than happy to give them the fabric requirements so they can select their colors and it will be X amount of dollars for the quilting (amount is based on the size of quilt) and that it would probally be 12 - 18 months before I could get to it. They all seem to want to take me up on the offer but since I started telling my friends this only one person has taken me up on my offer.

Put on your most inspiring face (and tone of voice), and suggest that they could make it themselves. Don't forget to mention that quilt shop prices are up over $9.00/yard, not like prices were when we were in high school, sewing garments for home economics class.

I don't feel obligated at all. In fact, I find it kind of annoying when people see the bags or quilt tops I have made and ask if/when I could make one for then, expecting that it will be free, and when I mention that materials and my time cost, some have actually said they wouldn't expect me to charge them. Now I am always speechless, even though it has happened several times. So, when I recover I just repeat that this is an expensive and time consuming hobby of mine and I can't support them as well, but I could let them know my prices and they can decide for themselves. IMHO, they don't seem to understand the work involved, as well as the money, and they probably wouldn't even appreciate it so don't let it bother you. :D

I just say no I don't have time and I don't sell them. because its a very expensive hobby. Unless they are dense they get it :D

This happened to me just last night. A lady whom I hardly know, ask me to make her a quilt. I politely told her I no longer quilt for other people, but I would be glad to help her and show her how to make her own. She then proceeded to tell me that she didn't have the time! :shock: :shock:
    those who don't quilt, don't understand the cost and time that it takes, and don't mind using others.

I just ask them, if they have $500. If they say no, which they always do, I say there's your answer. If they ever say yes, I'll take the $500 and make them a quilt.

WOW! People never cease to amaze me! :lol:

I just ask them, if they have $500. If they say no, which they always do, I say there's your answer. If they ever say yes, I'll take the $500 and make them a quilt.
    I love it! Can't wait to try that one on somebody!

[quote=saravincent]
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma

But what's wrong with "I don't think you can afford me!"
    Perfect answer! Say it with a smile and nobody will be offended. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    Now I won't be speechless, Thanks :lol:

I hand them my business card, (which I got free from vistaprint.com) and aks them to see my web site. I tell them that if they find something they like they can buy it from me or if they don't they can always order something from me. That tells them that I don't give away quilts. I have given some away, but always to people who never asked for one.

Maria

Blog Entries
    Wow! Some great answers to this problem. I have had people ask that too, and before I began to quilt, I had no idea how quickly the cost of supplies added up, or how very time intensive even the simplest looking quilt can be. Now that I understand that, I feel free to tell people I am too busy, and they probably wouldn't want to pay the cost. I also offer to teach them to quilt.

Let me make sure I get the question...you are feeling like you should make a quilt for someone just because they asked??If that is correct, I would tell that person exactly this...'sure! I'd be glad to make a quilt for you! I make them for commission all the time, call me when you want me to give you the price break downs'!:)That should cure it! If not....learn the big 'no'....and, guilt is only self inflicted:)LOL Skeat

I just tell them to bite. nuff said.

I had a friend of my sister visiting a week ago. We were looking at some of my projects that are ready to be quilted. She asked for a child's quilt top that I had on the pile. I tried to hand it to her unfinished and she said, Oh no, please finish it first! I was fllabbergasted. This woman is a quilter! She said I will pay you for it.

OK ... I have never sold a quilt in my life. What do you charge for such a quilt?? I have hours in it already. It is an appliqued animal baby blanket. What do you do, charge by the hour and materials used?

I've sold a few quilts.. the latest one being to a friend at work.. she saw the top and said that's mine..name your price. (it's a lap quilt) I said $250. and she said.. I thought it would be more. and I told her it was because she is a friend she's getting a break. Otherwise I have no problem just saying NO..
    Had someone want me to put a new zipper in her wedding dress the other day.. long story, but her MIL to be broke the zipper. I said.. yes I sew clothes but only for myself, and NO I won't replace the zipper.. that's a pain in the a** and I no longer subject myself to that torture. Blunt yes.. but also honest. I suggested she find a professional seamstress and send MIL to be the bill.

I always ask them....how much money do you have?
    When they say NONE, I tell them that is how much time I have to make them a quilt. :)

tell them to try to do it theirself that if they learn to quilt they will enjoy making so many quilts as u do but it takes time to quilt and you only can do so much at a time then if they say they can't then they will have to wait and pay you what you put in and your time

This is exactly what I tell people. I have yet to have anyone come back and ask for a meterials list or write me a check.

Blog Entries
    I love this response 8) 8) 8)

Thank you for the replies! Wow... I'm keeping these comments in mind when face with such situation again.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I love this response 8) 8) 8)

Me too!!! :D :D

I have a dear friend who knows how much money, time, effort and energy I put into a quilt. She has asked me several times if I would make her one. I tell her to pick a pattern and go fabric shopping. So far, she hasn't done it because she doesn't have the money. So I feel guilty....BUT, I just finished making a quilt for her new granddaughter to be...so, maybe, some day, I'll make her a scrap quilt....:D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast