Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you stop and start your quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-stop-start-your-quilting-t222273.html)

sewmom 05-27-2013 04:31 AM

I use the auto cutter, but i lift the presser foot and move the quilt over a few inches and then drop the PF and then cut it. That leaves longer threads to tie and bury. Takes no time at all especially if you have a knee lift.

Buckeye Rose 05-27-2013 04:42 AM

If I am straight stitching (like a crosshatching) and the ends finish at the edge, I don't do anything special as the binding will secure any ends there. If I am fmq, I just do a few stitches in place and then cut off the ends.

running1 05-27-2013 08:52 AM

this has been a great thread... lots of info!! Thanks everyone!!

dahlshouse 05-27-2013 02:23 PM

Thank you all for your input... this helps me a lot...

Mkotch 05-28-2013 02:39 AM

I bury as I go for areas that show. For baby quilts, I often backstitch a few stitches just to insure a stronger, more washable quilt.

petpainter 05-28-2013 04:28 AM

I feel safer and more professional if I bury the knot, then pull through the sandwich, too.

quiltmom04 05-28-2013 04:51 AM

I start quilting with a stitch length of almost nothing - say .5 or whatever your machine has that is ALMOST nothing. I stitch tht for about 1/4", and then increase the stitch length to normal, then back again to small at the end of the line of stitching. Th small stitch doesn't build up like if you back stitched, and if you've every tried to pick out stitching that small, you know it's not going ANYWHERE! Then I trim the ends of thread even with the fabric, and have not had problems with it .

MarleneC 05-28-2013 06:00 AM

This is the way I do it. Bring bobbin thread to top and then take a couple short stitches and then cut the threads--I end doing the same thing---short stitches and then cutting the thread.

MartiMorga 05-28-2013 06:08 AM

This has been a subject pressing on my mind, I DON'T WANT TO BURY THREADS! I always do, but have to master the small stitch method for sure.

Gabrielle's Mimi 05-28-2013 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6086464)
I agree with Patchsamkim. I dial my stitch length down to between 0-1, take 4-5 stitches, then roll the dial to 3-4, cut the thread ends. after doing this for several lengths of stitching, it will become more natural to use your right hand to change the stitch length without moving your left hand holding the quilt in place. I use a mechanical (non-computerized) Bernina 1031 mostly.
Jan in VA

I do the same, using about 4-5 micro stitches. My Bernina is computerized and has a "favorites" memory where I have set up my micro stitch configuration and my regular stitch configuration. I am able to toggle back and forth with one touch between the two. This is my favorite feature in my Bernina! The nice thing is that as I finish a seam using the micro stitches, as soon as I start the new seam, the micro stitches are already engaged. Then I just toggle back to regular length stitches. If you don't have this feature on your machine, just do it as Jan described.