Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you stop and start your quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-stop-start-your-quilting-t222273.html)

dahlshouse 05-26-2013 08:56 AM

How do you stop and start your quilting?

I have been concerned with the way I end my quilting. I have a Brother machine and it has it so I can have it cut the threads. Does some kind of knot first. Then I just cut the leftover thread ...
Do I need to tie them and hide each one in quilt?
Sometimes I am starting and stopping in each block or just different places to do different designs.
Would love new ideas on this...
Thanks in advance for your feedback..
Darlene

Tartan 05-26-2013 09:05 AM

I knot my threads and use an easy thread needle to bury them in the sandwich. Yes, it is a lot of work but I prefer the look. I do them a section at a time because it is a real PAIN if you leave them all to do at the end of your quilt.

QuiltingHaven 05-26-2013 09:19 AM

I knot my threads, leaving about 3 inches of thread, after I take the quilt off the machine and use a needle with the slot in the top to slide the two threads and then bury them. If I finish sewing on the side of the quilt or and edge, I will do two stitches back to lock then I don't have to bury the threads, just clip them off.

michelleoc 05-26-2013 09:26 AM

I bury mine as well. I do a section at a time, making a game of it ("when I finish this section, I get to bury the threads!") I usually stand up to do that so it gets me out from behind the sewing machine for a few minutes.

patchsamkim 05-26-2013 09:31 AM

I take several very short stitches (3-4) and then cut the threads off. Have never had a seam undone. If I was going to make a quilt for a competition, then I would bury the threads.

Unfortunately, most machines that have a "locking stitch" only stitch in the same place, and if you cut that off, you lose the locking, that is why I use the several short stitches.

Jan in VA 05-26-2013 12:28 PM

I agree with Patchsamkim. I dial my stitch length down to between 0-1, take 4-5 stitches, then roll the dial to 3-4, cut the thread ends. after doing this for several lengths of stitching, it will become more natural to use your right hand to change the stitch length without moving your left hand holding the quilt in place. I use a mechanical (non-computerized) Bernina 1031 mostly.

Jan in VA

Nammie to 7 05-26-2013 02:03 PM

I'm with Jan and Patchsamkim. That process works best for me.

Stitchnripper 05-26-2013 02:40 PM

I bury my threads. I don't mind this tedious process. Sometimes I need something mindless to do

Quilts rock 05-26-2013 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6086464)
I agree with Patchsamkim. I dial my stitch length down to between 0-1, take 4-5 stitches, then roll the dial to 3-4, cut the thread ends. after doing this for several lengths of stitching, it will become more natural to use your right hand to change the stitch length without moving your left hand holding the quilt in place. I use a mechanical (non-computerized) Bernina 1031 mostly.

Jan in VA

jan, do you back stitch with those short stitches?

Karenowc 05-26-2013 05:37 PM

another one here who buries her thread. My machines also have the cutting feature but I don't like the tiny threads they leave hanging on the back.