Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you store opened jelly roll fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-store-opened-jelly-roll-fabric-t297362.html)

mac 06-03-2018 10:09 AM

How do you store opened jelly roll fabric?

I have just purchased a number of jelly rolls and will be cutting only about 6 inches of fabric off each strip. Since I have opened them up and ironed them to get them to lay flat (and not curled up), I now have a pile of them. How do you store yours for the next use? I would hate to have to re-iron them again.

Also, now that the rolls are open, do you separate them into similar colors or just leave them in the group they came in? I like to keep fabric in similar color groups, but with the multicolor jelly rolls it would be hard to see the colors without taking them all out to see them. Help, help! I am a horrible organizer and this seems beyond me visually. If I can't see something in my mind visually, I am rather lost. :eek:

SusieQOH 06-03-2018 10:49 AM

mac, I'm not the best organizer either :) but I re-roll my jelly rolls. It would be a disaster if I didn't! Besides I like to keep the fabrics together.
I have mine stacked on a shelf. It works for me.

PamelaOry 06-03-2018 11:02 AM

I refill to the best of my ability, or if it’s beyond that, I put it in a baggie.

Rhonda K 06-03-2018 11:38 AM

Fold the remaining strips in half, stack neatly and tie with ribbon. I use two pieces of scrap strips to tie. You can still see the colors and count how many strips are left. If the strips are long (42") fold into quarter lengths and tie.

I like those scrap book storage bins as the strips fit in them nicely.

Dolphyngyrl 06-03-2018 12:26 PM

Hanger in a closet

nativetexan 06-03-2018 12:57 PM

you could use binder clips on the end and hang them that way. on nails, hangers, etc.

Jingle 06-03-2018 02:34 PM

I don't buy precuts. I either use scraps or cut my own strips.

meyert 06-03-2018 05:22 PM

I have learned to surrender and just put them in a ziplock bag. Even if I roll them up the best I can they don't stay that way long :) in the bag they at least stay together and don't fly around

Tothill 06-03-2018 07:18 PM

If, I have a pattern in mind for the remainder, or have bought coordinating yardage, I store the remaining with the pattern and fabric. If the pattern is in a magazine or online, I print/copy it.

In your situation, I would not have pressed the whole strip, just cut off about 7 inches (enough to accommodate the selvege) and then pressed. I would have rolled the rest back up.

Since you have pressed and opened, I would fold in thirds, which should fit into a Iris scrap book case. I use those for all my projects. I would keep them in their group.

I do that with precuts until I am down to just a few, them they get put into a random bin and I use them for EPP or applique.

zozee 06-03-2018 08:00 PM

I guess you should ask yourself if you plan to use the same jelly roll in its entirety for another single project, or are you not likely to combine them again?

If you want to keep each set of jelly roll remnants together, then a 12x12 clear plastic bin is ideal. (Art Bin is my fave kind for the nice handle and stackabilty. I would gently fold the strips to fit, tie loosely with a selvage or thin strip of fabric, and maybe label the collection in case you want to order yardage or another JR) . You can keep several collections in one bin.

If you are a once-and-done kind of quilter (never to purposely combine the same remnants into another quilt) then separate by color, and tie loosely. (Tying keeps the stacks from falling over inside the bin.)

You could label the bin "2.5" strips" and put all scraps that width inside, whether from a jelly roll or not.
Or if you prefer to keep JR collections together, but separate from other 2.5" strips, then label it "Jelly Roll Scraps".

The key is to know yourself and how you think. For strips, I have 2.5" all in one bin, and misc size strips in another. I store them in Art Bins as I described above. For chunkier, oddball size scraps, I separate by color in plastic shoeboxes.