Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you store opened jelly roll fabric?

mac

How do you store opened jelly roll fabric?

I have just purchased a number of jelly rolls and will be cutting only about 6 inches of fabric off each strip. Since I have opened them up and ironed them to get them to lay flat (and not curled up), I now have a pile of them. How do you store yours for the next use? I would hate to have to re-iron them again.

Also, now that the rolls are open, do you separate them into similar colors or just leave them in the group they came in? I like to keep fabric in similar color groups, but with the multicolor jelly rolls it would be hard to see the colors without taking them all out to see them. Help, help! I am a horrible organizer and this seems beyond me visually. If I can't see something in my mind visually, I am rather lost.

mac, I'm not the best organizer either but I re-roll my jelly rolls. It would be a disaster if I didn't! Besides I like to keep the fabrics together.
    I have mine stacked on a shelf. It works for me.

Blog Entries
    I refill to the best of my ability, or if it’s beyond that, I put it in a baggie.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Fold the remaining strips in half, stack neatly and tie with ribbon. I use two pieces of scrap strips to tie. You can still see the colors and count how many strips are left. If the strips are long (42") fold into quarter lengths and tie.

I like those scrap book storage bins as the strips fit in them nicely.

Hanger in a closet
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    you could use binder clips on the end and hang them that way. on nails, hangers, etc.

I don't buy precuts. I either use scraps or cut my own strips.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have learned to surrender and just put them in a ziplock bag. Even if I roll them up the best I can they don't stay that way long in the bag they at least stay together and don't fly around

Blog Entries
    If, I have a pattern in mind for the remainder, or have bought coordinating yardage, I store the remaining with the pattern and fabric. If the pattern is in a magazine or online, I print/copy it.

In your situation, I would not have pressed the whole strip, just cut off about 7 inches (enough to accommodate the selvege) and then pressed. I would have rolled the rest back up.

Since you have pressed and opened, I would fold in thirds, which should fit into a Iris scrap book case. I use those for all my projects. I would keep them in their group.

I do that with precuts until I am down to just a few, them they get put into a random bin and I use them for EPP or applique.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I guess you should ask yourself if you plan to use the same jelly roll in its entirety for another single project, or are you not likely to combine them again?

If you want to keep each set of jelly roll remnants together, then a 12x12 clear plastic bin is ideal. (Art Bin is my fave kind for the nice handle and stackabilty. I would gently fold the strips to fit, tie loosely with a selvage or thin strip of fabric, and maybe label the collection in case you want to order yardage or another JR) . You can keep several collections in one bin.

If you are a once-and-done kind of quilter (never to purposely combine the same remnants into another quilt) then separate by color, and tie loosely. (Tying keeps the stacks from falling over inside the bin.)

You could label the bin "2.5" strips" and put all scraps that width inside, whether from a jelly roll or not.
    Or if you prefer to keep JR collections together, but separate from other 2.5" strips, then label it "Jelly Roll Scraps".

The key is to know yourself and how you think. For strips, I have 2.5" all in one bin, and misc size strips in another. I store them in Art Bins as I described above. For chunkier, oddball size scraps, I separate by color in plastic shoeboxes.

I do not have many but those I have left over from projects I store them either folded or loosely rolled in a clear shoe box.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Good question...I have only purchased two jelly rolls (forget when) and have yet to use either of them. Hopefully, I will find a project that will use up the whole JR. Good luck.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Hanger in a closet
    This is my way as well, held on with a single clip clothes pin so they don't slip off.

Re-roll to the best of my ability and place original ribbon/with label back around them. Then place in a ziploc bag and back into the drawer they go.

Ziploc bag to keep them together. I like to see all of the colors in the loose roll. I can take out a few if I want to use them. If I have used most of the roll, I will put left overs in the scrap bags. I keep the bags of scraps in a laundry basket. I do find it hard to utilize strips efficiently. I do better using charms or 10 inch squares.

Same with me, I use a rubber band to keep my rolls intact.

Blog Entries
    I use these storage containers from Artbin

mac
    Quote Originally Posted by pahega View Post
    I use these storage containers from Artbin

I have never seen those long boxes from Artbin before. Where did you purchase them?

mac
    Thank you, everyone, for the great ideas. I do have some 12 x 12" Artbin boxes that are not being used, so while a have a lot of the JRs, I will put them in there. Then when I use up most of them, they'll go into the plastic bags as you suggested. I really appreciate all of the helpful suggestions.

I have the jelly roll bins like Pahega. I saw them at Hobby Lobby but I ordered mine on line somewhere. I dont use them unless I'm going to workshop. LOL What I use in my sewing room is this:

Velvet covered scarf hangers: There are all different designs of them. I need some that have wider holes for the strips to lay perfectly flat. I can take the hanger off the hook and the strips do not fall off.

Name:  strip holders.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  43.0 KB
    Last edited by Onebyone; 06-04-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

mac
    Great idea!

Blog Entries
    I saw a rug making video that had you tie the strips into a large, loose knot to prevent tangles. I would put them over a hanger, and secure them with a smaller piece of scrap tied just tight enough to stay in place and not slide off.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

OM gosh. I'm getting a couple of pms from OCD people saying the hanger hooks are not in line, the strips are not evened up, or sorted by color and it is driving them nuts. I don't have an OCD bone in my body. So no I'm not changing how the strips are hung. LOLOLOL
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    OM gosh. I'm getting a couple of pms from OCD people saying the hanger hooks are not in line, the strips are not evened up, or sorted by color and it is driving them nuts. I don't have an OCD bone in my body. So no I'm not changing how the strips are hung. LOLOLOL
    You're joking, right?

I get crazy pms all the time. Some make no sense at all. But many are very nice and informative.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast