Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you store your quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-store-your-quilts-t184930.html)

MoanaWahine 04-03-2012 12:01 PM

How do you store your quilts?

Not that I have many quilts that need storage yet (mine area being used all the time :)), but I am wondering how you store your quilts from season to season or for any other reason.

I happen to come across an idea on the internet that uses a swimming noddle to roll the quilts around. What are your thoughts about that idea?

Thanks for your responses.

ckcowl 04-03-2012 12:45 PM

i put mine in pillow cases & they live on the shelves of the linen closet with other bedding.

Krisb 04-03-2012 01:11 PM

Mine are all on the bed in the extra bedroom, with the curtains closed.

barny 04-03-2012 01:59 PM

I keep mine in pillow cases too. They can breathe in them I was told by my MIL. years ago. I loved her.

Pat625 04-03-2012 03:25 PM

Put them away??How do you have quilts to put up?? It seems I can't make them fast enough for the people that want one!! I am actually hoping I can keep the one I am making right now..I have a Walmart quilt on my bed!! (sham:thumbdown:e) If I ever get some for myself tho, I will keep your suggestions in mind!!

Vicki W 04-03-2012 03:26 PM

I keep them in pillow cases. I also have some on the beds. I sleep under one every night and have a few on quilt racks....did I mention I love quilts?

ube quilting 04-03-2012 03:59 PM

The noodle thing is a good idea. Just remember to cover the noodle so the quilts don't come in contact with the noodle. They may get discolored if they touch over a long time. I have some of mine layered on my guest room bed with a bedspread on top of them to keep dust and light off them. I change them out every once in awhile so I can enjoy them. Others I keep on cardboard tubes.

I visit the local upholstery shops and ask them for their empty fabric tubes. I use a sheet rolled onto the tube a few rolls and then lay the quilt on the remaining sheet and roll the two up together. The sheet rolls around the quilt on the outside a few times and is totaly protected by the sheet. I slide them under the bed to store.
peace

An Arm Long 04-03-2012 04:17 PM

I fold mine longways and put them on pant hangers in the closet. It they are too big for that, I use pillow cases and put them on the shelf with my sheets and towels.

mucky 04-03-2012 04:20 PM

If you fold them there is a triangle way to do it but can't remember how exactly. I'm sure someone will have the answer. Store in cotton and remove and refold often.

katier825 04-04-2012 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 (Post 5114134)
Put them away??How do you have quilts to put up?? It seems I can't make them fast enough for the people that want one!! I am actually hoping I can keep the one I am making right now..I have a Walmart quilt on my bed!! (sham:thumbdown:e) If I ever get some for myself tho, I will keep your suggestions in mind!!

I can so relate to that! I even went ahead and made new curtains for my room to go with the quilt that's been in the works for a couple of years. They don't match the worn out store bought quilt on my bed. I was hoping it would annoy me enough to hurry up and finish mine...I have to keep putting it aside to make gifts.