Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you store your quilts?

Question How do you store your quilts?

Not that I have many quilts that need storage yet (mine area being used all the time ), but I am wondering how you store your quilts from season to season or for any other reason.

I happen to come across an idea on the internet that uses a swimming noddle to roll the quilts around. What are your thoughts about that idea?

Thanks for your responses.
    Julie

Blog Entries
    i put mine in pillow cases & they live on the shelves of the linen closet with other bedding.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Mine are all on the bed in the extra bedroom, with the curtains closed.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    I keep mine in pillow cases too. They can breathe in them I was told by my MIL. years ago. I loved her.

Put them away??How do you have quilts to put up?? It seems I can't make them fast enough for the people that want one!! I am actually hoping I can keep the one I am making right now..I have a Walmart quilt on my bed!! (shame) If I ever get some for myself tho, I will keep your suggestions in mind!!

I keep them in pillow cases. I also have some on the beds. I sleep under one every night and have a few on quilt racks....did I mention I love quilts?
    Vicki W

Blog Entries
    The noodle thing is a good idea. Just remember to cover the noodle so the quilts don't come in contact with the noodle. They may get discolored if they touch over a long time. I have some of mine layered on my guest room bed with a bedspread on top of them to keep dust and light off them. I change them out every once in awhile so I can enjoy them. Others I keep on cardboard tubes.

I visit the local upholstery shops and ask them for their empty fabric tubes. I use a sheet rolled onto the tube a few rolls and then lay the quilt on the remaining sheet and roll the two up together. The sheet rolls around the quilt on the outside a few times and is totaly protected by the sheet. I slide them under the bed to store.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I fold mine longways and put them on pant hangers in the closet. It they are too big for that, I use pillow cases and put them on the shelf with my sheets and towels.
    Beth in Maryland

If you fold them there is a triangle way to do it but can't remember how exactly. I'm sure someone will have the answer. Store in cotton and remove and refold often.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    Put them away??How do you have quilts to put up?? It seems I can't make them fast enough for the people that want one!! I am actually hoping I can keep the one I am making right now..I have a Walmart quilt on my bed!! (shame) If I ever get some for myself tho, I will keep your suggestions in mind!!
    I can so relate to that! I even went ahead and made new curtains for my room to go with the quilt that's been in the works for a couple of years. They don't match the worn out store bought quilt on my bed. I was hoping it would annoy me enough to hurry up and finish mine...I have to keep putting it aside to make gifts.

I try to hang different ones for different seasons. The rest I store in pillowcases.

It's funny you should mention 'triangle' folding. I often fold my quilts as one would fold the American flag - just to change it around every few months. They stack nicely on edge in my linen closet and I love the look of them sitting pretty 'all in a row'!
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    If you fold them there is a triangle way to do it but can't remember how exactly. I'm sure someone will have the answer. Store in cotton and remove and refold often.