Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you store your Completed Quilts?

Where do you store your Completed Quilts?

I give most of my quilts away. But now, I'm making quilts for our own home. I'm trying to come up with new ideas of how to store them. I have very little built-in storage in our tiny cabin. I don't want them out in the open...too dusty around here. My newest ideas are either a blanket chest, or a low, legal cabinet with glass doors so that I can see all the colorful quilts inside. Any ideas? Where do you store yours?

~ C

Currently, I have quilts and blankets and thins stored everywhere, but ideally if I had the money, I'd love to own an antique walnut linen press.

I have some out on display on a quilt ladder, some stored in an antique Barrister's bookcase with the glass doors, and several draped over the backs of sofas and chairs where they get daily use.
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

Blog Entries
    mine are in a dresser drawer... but i love the glass door idea
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    oh, but the glass doors should not be in direct light to prevent fading
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I have only a few, and they are hanging in a closet in my sewing room.

I have a cedar chest (lined with 1/4 inch plastic), and two quilt racks. (one made by Jim, my love). A few are scattered on the back of the couch, and covered with cat hair. A few are on the walls.
    I have given many away, but am starting to run out of room.
    Last edited by Boston1954; 07-22-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I store mine between the mattress and box springs in the spare bedroom. No refolding. Safe from bugs, fading and no extra storage needed.

Blog Entries
    most are in the closet. one is on my couch, my son has one in the sewing room. my cat has her 3/4" hexagon quilt on her chair that sits in the window. It's covered with her grey fur. some are in the bedroom. that covers every room in the house.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    most are in the closet. one is on my couch, my son has one in the sewing room. my cat has her 3/4" hexagon quilt on her chair that sits in the window. It's covered with her grey fur. some are in the bedroom. that covers every room in the house.
    Wait Lynnie, you did not mention the kitchen....
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

A long time ago someone here posted their purchase of where they store their quilts and I loved it. It's the old TV cabinets with glass doors on the side for the VCR, DVD players etc. I found a lovely walnut one on Craigslist with two drawers under the TV section and an etched glass door on the side with 5 shelves. I love it and it shows almost all my vintage quilts. I can stack maybe 7-8 quilts in the TV section alone. Mine is about 48 inches across and about 50 inches high. I have also put them over a railing in my living room, on a quilt rack, on a ladder in the hall.

Quote Originally Posted by DACO48 View Post
    I store mine between the mattress and box springs in the spare bedroom. No refolding. Safe from bugs, fading and no extra storage needed.
    Clever idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
    I have some out on display on a quilt ladder, some stored in an antique Barrister's bookcase with the glass doors, and several draped over the backs of sofas and chairs where they get daily use.
    Yes...that's what I was referring to...a barrister's bookcase. I'm going to an antiques fair in a couple of weeks and I've got my eye out for one that will fit in my space.

~ C

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    A long time ago someone here posted their purchase of where they store their quilts and I loved it. It's the old TV cabinets with glass doors on the side for the VCR, DVD players etc. I found a lovely walnut one on Craigslist with two drawers under the TV section and an etched glass door on the side with 5 shelves. I love it and it shows almost all my vintage quilts. I can stack maybe 7-8 quilts in the TV section alone. Mine is about 48 inches across and about 50 inches high. I have also put them over a railing in my living room, on a quilt rack, on a ladder in the hall.
    Excellent idea! I see those all the time at the Goodwill and they're very inexpensive too, since they're not quite an "antique" yet. Paint it up and repurpose it...love that!

~ C
    Last edited by tropit; 07-23-2017 at 06:08 AM.

What about an old stereo cabinet...the kind they had back in the 1970's? They are made of heavy wood and have a linen type material where the speakers are located. I'd gut one in a heartbeat and remove the front section or parts of it and replace it with glass. Maybe paint the cabinet (or refurbish), which ever strikes my fancy. Now if my sweet husband would only let me do this to his old non used stereo cabinet!!

I place them in old pillow cases and tag them with name and date, and they are in a 3 X 5 foot hall closet. I place them in the top shelves and use the bottom selves for spare sheets and blankets. I usually take them out at Thanksgiving so that family members can choose the ones they like. I am also keeping my DD's quits since she does not have much closet space.

Dh built a set of hanging rails that are attached to a pole. You could also attach them to the wall. The ones I rotate for holidays go under my bed. It is a platform and I can lift the wooden bottom and slip them in. I have heard of people storing them flat between the mattress and the box springs.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I give and sell a lot of my quilts, but the ones I keep for future generations I have in a cedar chest. I have my own that are on the beds, walls and all over the house, even the kitchen.

Just google and there are some fun ideas.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...w=1164&bih=835
    Anna Quilts

Mine are stacked on the bed in the spare bedroom. Can be rotated around for a different look.

I have quilts all over. On walls, in glass cabinets, draped on an old ladder, I guess you'd say that is my decorating style I just love looking at them! I was on a kick at one time collecting old ones so I have plenty, even giving a lot away.

Blog Entries
    I have mine layered on the bed in the guest room, I switch them out to show off each one through the year. I do have an old wooden cloths dryer that leans against a wall and I drape quilts over that too. I don't have any storage space other than this simple solution.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I may have resolved my dilemma of where to store my quilts. I found a beautiful, old dresser yesterday, off of Craigs List...the price... F-R-E-E...FREE! I think it will fit in the space perfectly. It's pretty crusty, with pealing paint. I'm going to strip it and paint it a deap teal, or aqua. No, it doesn't have the glass doors that I was hoping for, but the shape is just so lovely. I'm excited!!!

I promise to post pix of my quilting studio/office when everything is done.

~C

Thanks tropic for asking this question. So many great ideas for storing quilts!
    Make it a GREAT day!

Blog Entries
    Legal cabinets usually aren't deep enough. If you have an extra bed that is rarely used you could put several layers of quilts on top; then rotate them out for using as a bed cover. When I entered a quilt show they required our quilts to be in a pillow case. I made my cases bigger so as not to scrunch the quilt and longer to fold under. I put the name and date on the end and now its easy to pull out the opening when looking for a quilt. This has allowed me to store them on closet shelves and not worry about dust. Now every quilt will get a case as soon as its finished.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast