Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where do you store your Completed Quilts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    Clever idea!
    Be careful of storing between the mattress and box springs. If the bed gets a lot of action ( it could rub both the top and bottom of the quilt
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I may have resolved my dilemma of where to store my quilts. I found a beautiful, old dresser yesterday, off of Craigs List...the price... F-R-E-E...FREE! I think it will fit in the space perfectly. It's pretty crusty, with pealing paint. I'm going to strip it and paint it a deap teal, or aqua. No, it doesn't have the glass doors that I was hoping for, but the shape is just so lovely. I'm excited!!!

I promise to post pix of my quilting studio/office when everything is done.

~C
    Here's some pix of my new, to be improved, dresser that I found for free on CL. That top set of mini drawers is completely separate, so I might leave it off.

I also found this sweet, wire cart (also free) that I've plopped some plants and starter trays on for the time being. It actually has 3 shelves, but the middle shelf has fallen down. Nothing a couple of screws and a can of spray paint cant fix. I may use this cart instead of that cute red cart on HFT.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I am using some vacumn out air bags and may store on top closet shelf or under my bed! Marilyn from Ga.

Some quilts are in old pillowcases in my grandparent's immigrant trunk. Others are over a bannister or a wall quilt rack. I used to have an old kitchen pantry cabinet about 18" square and 5 foot tall, I removed the door and stored it away so quilts on the 5 shelves could be seen. I sold it because someone wanted to buy the cabinet. I only own vintage quilts, the quilts I make are for charity or gifts.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I like the cabinet with the glass door ideas.

I store mine in plastic bags in a cabinet. Some in a big rubbermaid container. Done it for years and no harm.

I give away or donate most quilts.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I like the idea of the glass cabinet so you can see things! My mom has a lovely curio cabinet with special things in it. It would be great for quilts!
    Kristi

I don't really have too many that need to be stored. Wall quilts are on walls, throw size are on sofas, etc.

That dresser is so pretty!! I love the little drawers on top!!

I have very limited storage space in my old house so I've been wrapping them around pool noodles and making a muslin bag that slips over my pool noodle/quilt roll-up to protect from dust. These then stand on end in a corner of the guest bedroom. The quilts stay wrinkle free and dust free and are protected from sunlight.

I wrap more more than one quilt around each noodle, by rolling the largest on first, then the next smallest, etc. When I roll the quilts onto the noodle I make sure that the pool noodle sticks out by a few inches at the bottom, then place my muslin bag over the whole thing and tie a piece of selvage around the outer bag just below the bottom edge of the quilts so they don't slip down. This allows me to stand the pool noodle on end without having to worry about the edges of the quilt being squashed. Finally I tie the top of the bag shut and attach a label so I know which quilts are on which noodle.

For larger quilts a piece of PVC can be used to join two (or more) noodles together by sliding it into the center hole of the noodles.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

I don't have many, but they are on beds and the couch.
    Pat
    Brother NQ 3500D
    HQ Avanté

Pool noodles....whodda thunk. Great idea!

~C

Pool noodles....whodda thunk. Great idea!

~C
    can't take credit for it myself--- have seen the idea in a couple of places including something I read from one of the quilt museums which suggested using them, and Leah Day did a video on using them as well.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Other people's houses LOL... I donate most of my quilts or gift them. Come to think of it I don't have one for me....
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Well...SuzzyQ...you'd better make one for yourself. People are gonna start wondering what you do with all of your time if you don't have something to show for it. (wink, wink.)

Blog Entries
    I give most of my quilts away. But now, I'm making quilts for our own home. I'm trying to come up with new ideas of how to store them. I have very little built-in storage in our tiny cabin. I don't want them out in the open...too dusty around here. My newest ideas are either a blanket chest, or a low, legal cabinet with glass doors so that I can see all the colorful quilts inside. Any ideas? Where do you store yours?

~ C
    I only keep 2 for each bed upstairs. QOV hang in closet waiting for awarding, a couple on my sofa and 3 small "floor" quilts I store under the sofa cushions for when the grands come to play. All other quilts are moved out pretty quickly.
    I keep it pretty simple, but I sew with scraps and make most for charity.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Blog Entries
    i have some larger ones that i like to look at, so they are folded on the backs of my couches
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

I've been busy all week, stripping that white dresser (see above.) what a nice surprise! It is all mahogany, with "bookend veneer" on the drawers and burl knobs. Really beautiful! I may not have to paint it.

~ C

I inherited my mothers large hope chest where I have my antique family quilts, I keep them in clear plastic zip bags but don't zip closed for air purpose. I have some on a quilt ladder my youngest son made last Christmas... and some smaller quits on the base of ladder. He figured I'd have some extra smaller quilts to put on the base off the floor. I'll try to send pic of ladder...Thanks for looking

My sister lives in a tiny house. She has a bench seat to store them. She lined the inside to protect the quilts. Mine are folded up on shelves. There isn't anyplace I can store them out of light upstairs. The one room that has north light is what I'm getting for a sewing area.

I was at a quilt show, and a ventor there made cabinets for quilts. It has glass on all four sides and a glass top, that opens so you can add your quilts. I told my husband, if he didn't know what to give me for Christmas, this would make me happy. the one we saw was the size of a coffee table. But Bill knows me better than I know myself, and on Christmas eve, arrived the quilt cabinet, but it was twice as tall as a coffee table. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will. If not use your imagination.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marymild, I love your glass cabinet. That would have been perfect for my sewing/guest room project. I like the tallness of it. It takes up little floor space, but it can still store and display a lot of quilts...very pretty!

~ C

Awesome score, Tropit, on that FREE dresser!
    You could pull the large drawers out and use the space to display your quilts.
    If you have scraps or strips of fabric from the quilts on display, you could stuff the three little drawers on top with the fabric and leave them slightly ajar and decoratively drape some of the fabric strips over the little drawers.

Name:  dresser.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  132.9 KB
    Sheep Farmer by day ~ Learning to Quilt by night

I just moved and had to figure out a new display. I found (and ordered) a horse blanket rack to display my quilts (http://www.sstack.com/stable_stable-...ical-pad-rack/). It is strong enough to hold the"weight" of quilt, and you actually can show quite a few. I alternated the direction of the spines to allow more of each quilt to show.

Blog Entries
    too funny.....they might wonder what all those expensive sewing machines are for too.....lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast