Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you wash your newly completed quilts?

Do you wash your newly completed quilts?

I was wondering who washes their quilts when they are just finished? Why do you do it or why don't you do it?

Yes. Especially since i like the wrinkled vintagy look
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

I don't because there are so many allergies. I can NOT use TIDE, I break out. A family member is allergic to fabric softner. So I let the person getting the quilt wash it with their own soap and stuff.

I do wash them because I like the crinkly look, I have heard their are lots of harsh chemicals in the fabric and most of all I do not want them to bleed so I wash them with the color catchers.

I use starch while sewing, so one reason I always wash a new quilt is to get the starch out.

I don't wash mine. I like the look of the just completed quilt. When I do have to wash it, I do like that look too.

Blog Entries
    If i use fusible batting or fusible spray basting i do soak and spin out and soak again and spin out. just to get rid of the fusible. then toss in the dryer to get rid of wrinkles.
    allergies- when i moved to Colorado, it's so dry here that my itching got ten times worse. i started using Cheer Free and now use Tide that has no perfumes or dyes. helped my itching a ton!!
    i forgot one day and got out an older pair of jeans and wore them. i got welts on my legs!! took them off, got in the shower and put lotion on my legs and washed those jeans!!
    Last edited by nativetexan; 01-02-2012 at 10:33 AM.

I always wash a finished quilt....it washes out any starch, chemicals, stitching marks, oils from my hands ....it also may help to show any areas that need attention such as seams coming unsewn, threads to be clipped, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    I always wash a finished quilt....it washes out any starch, chemicals, stitching marks, oils from my hands ....it also may help to show any areas that need attention such as seams coming unsewn, threads to be clipped, etc.
    Ditto. Buckeye Rose stated every reason I wash a quilt. Plus, I like the crinkly look.

Blog Entries
    My husband and I both smoke and we have a sometimes cat so I always wash my quilts. I have never had anything come undone but feel it is good to check. I always prewash the fabric (except jelly rolls).
    Cherylsea

Quote Originally Posted by 1000projects View Post
    Yes. Especially since i like the wrinkled vintagy look
    Double Ditto!
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Blog Entries
    I don't because I am afraid it will fall apart!! How's that for confidence!

I prewash my fabrics but I still always wash the quilts when completed. As others have said, removes starch; smells; dog hair; oils from my hands and the crinkly look. And even though I prewash, I've had fabric bleed after completion. What a nightmare that quilt was. No matter how many color catchers I used it wouldn't stop bleeding. Finally gifted the quilt with a box of color catchers and instructions to never wash it without them.

Does anyone ever think you are giving them a used quilt?

I do for myself and sometimes with other quilts - sometimes I want to be sure no-bleed from fabric - just depends on the fabric - I love the washed look.

Blog Entries
    I usually wash mine... I just think they look so much better when they have been washed. Also, I have started using washable school markers to mark my quilting lines, so have to wash that out..would be kinda funny if I gave a quilt away that still had all those marks on it...lol hope I never forget to wash my marked lines out! rofl
    I quilt for my sanity!

I like the crisp look of a newly created quilt...so I do not wash.

Blog Entries
    I do not wash the quilt because I washed both top and backing before quilting it.

Blog Entries
    I ALWAYS ALWAYS WASH FINISHED QUILTS!!! before anyone receives them-
    i have 2 friends- a mother in law- and the daughter in law-
    a few years ago mil made dil a quilt for christmas---it was beautiful and very much loved! dil called mil asking about washing it- one of the kids had spilled something on it- dil followed mil's instructions---took it out of the dryer to find a number of seams had come loose-and there was even a horrible hole! dil was devistated! and so afraid mil would be mad- she cried and cried- and hid the *damaged quilt*--for months i was 'caught in the middle of this mess---with one crying over it constantly- and the other (b****ing) constantly about how ungrateful dil was- quilt was not even being used-
    i was sworn to secrecy---(son was deployed-and caught in middle long distance)
    finally when we were all together---and mil made a very harsh statement i could take it no longer-went in got the quilt and tossed it on her lap!
    she was so embarrassed- by her bad behavior---and also by her neglect -not making sure everything was secure--and washing it first---had she washed it first the problems would have been seen right away-and fixed before it was gifted---and dil would have been spared all the tears---as if hubby being gone wasn't enough!
    i never give a quilt that has not be washed-and checked out totally= i do not want to cause anyone such stress.if something is going to happen to it in the wash- i want to know about it first-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Yep I wash every quilt before it leaves my house. Washing makes the quilting pop and I can see if I missed a spot.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

I always wash, it gets out the marks etc. and I too like the look of it.

Blog Entries
    I always wash a quilt when it's done - unless it's a special wall hanging or as I'm working on right now - a silk necktie quilt.
    I have a cat who will search out any piece of fabric and lay on it. I've even caught her sleeping on TOP of my machine when I have a quilt draped over it.
    I'm also not the best housekeeper (lol) so sometimes there are extra threads or dust hitchhiking on the quilt.
    And I wash them so I can double check to make sure no seams have popped in the wash - so I can fix them before the quilt is gifted.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Quote Originally Posted by CharlottsQuilts View Post
    I don't because I am afraid it will fall apart!! How's that for confidence!
    lol....I have the same fear, so I guess our feelings are "normal"?

I don't launder it because I figure they will (as I do) when they can use their own detergent, etc. as they like it!

I wash since I do not wash before I make the quilt and I want to make sure nothing comes apart, plus I too like the softer look after washing.
    Juliebelle

Blog Entries
    If I prewash the fabric (all the fabric) I don't wash the finished quilt but I will run it through the dryer with a wet bath towel and a softener sheet. That freshens up the quilt and gets all the threads off. It also frees all the threads that still need to be nipped.

The one I am working on now is not prewashed and it is going to someone battling cancer. I will wash all the chemicals out and send a freshly laundered quilt.

Sorry, but I do not understand the idea of seams coming apart. Don't you check the seams when you sew the pieces together? I usually pin at the intersections (to avoid flipped seam allowances) and I pin on long stretches so nothing will slip. I have never had an open seam or barely there seam. If that is the case I rip and resew. In the last quilt I had one square that was too small but when I adjusted, I still had over 1/8" seam on the side.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast