Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you wash your newly completed quilts? >

Do you wash your newly completed quilts?

Do you wash your newly completed quilts?

Old 01-02-2012, 01:25 PM

I always wash, it gets out the marks etc. and I too like the look of it.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:36 PM

I always wash a quilt when it's done - unless it's a special wall hanging or as I'm working on right now - a silk necktie quilt.
I have a cat who will search out any piece of fabric and lay on it. I've even caught her sleeping on TOP of my machine when I have a quilt draped over it.
I'm also not the best housekeeper (lol) so sometimes there are extra threads or dust hitchhiking on the quilt.
And I wash them so I can double check to make sure no seams have popped in the wash - so I can fix them before the quilt is gifted.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by CharlottsQuilts View Post
I don't because I am afraid it will fall apart!! How's that for confidence!
lol....I have the same fear, so I guess our feelings are "normal"?

I don't launder it because I figure they will (as I do) when they can use their own detergent, etc. as they like it!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:41 PM

I wash since I do not wash before I make the quilt and I want to make sure nothing comes apart, plus I too like the softer look after washing.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

If I prewash the fabric (all the fabric) I don't wash the finished quilt but I will run it through the dryer with a wet bath towel and a softener sheet. That freshens up the quilt and gets all the threads off. It also frees all the threads that still need to be nipped.

The one I am working on now is not prewashed and it is going to someone battling cancer. I will wash all the chemicals out and send a freshly laundered quilt.

Sorry, but I do not understand the idea of seams coming apart. Don't you check the seams when you sew the pieces together? I usually pin at the intersections (to avoid flipped seam allowances) and I pin on long stretches so nothing will slip. I have never had an open seam or barely there seam. If that is the case I rip and resew. In the last quilt I had one square that was too small but when I adjusted, I still had over 1/8" seam on the side.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

I have never washed before gifting the quilt- don't want anyone to think I am giving a used/second hand quilt And yes they all know I quilt and am making a blanket for just that special occasion, but still feel funny about it ..... Like after I wash it- it is no longer "new"
Old 01-02-2012, 02:28 PM

I wash all my quilts. I just can't see myself using a quilt that hasn't been washed first.
With or without starch, I think there's still quite a bit of dust in them. I just itch at the
thought. LOL
Wall-hangings would probably be the only exception but then they go on the wall and
not over my skin.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 PM

Always! Even though I usually prewash the fabric (except for precuts), I wash with Hypoallergenic soap and fabric softener. I use starch and washable glue, so I want to wash that out. I love it crinkly and soft. I don't think they look used...I think they look cuddly and inviting!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:03 PM

I like the new quilt look so I don't wash mine. So far mine have been for family and no one is allergic to dogs. I did throw one in the dryer with a fabric sheet because the back was less expensive fabric and thread clippings were sticking to it. I trust my sewing and my machine, so I feel no concern about undone seams. I do include 2 color catchers with every quilt, but all fabrics that may bleed have been prewashed.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:03 PM

i do not wash my fabric before i sew it together, because i like the feel of the new fabric, why would i wast that... the front and back will shrink at approx the same rate so i don't care... they'll be old all the rest of their lives...why start early?