Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you wash your newly completed quilts? >

Do you wash your newly completed quilts?

Do you wash your newly completed quilts?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:47 PM

Always - but then I never pre-wash - throw in a colour catcher just in case plus I have a dog and it freshens up the quilt after being handled alot
Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by 1000projects View Post
Yes. Especially since i like the wrinkled vintagy look
Me too and also take out whatever puzels or dog hairs that are on them. You know Miss Bess always has to try out a quilt first. I also put in a cloth that picks up any dye that would come out and that takes care of that for the next person who owns the quilt. Edie

Puzels are pieces of thread or little teeny fabric cuttings - family word - love it - matches the description of a piece of thread or lint or whatever. Pronounced Poozles - short oo. You can have puzels on a skirt or a dress or on the floor, maybe the dog is walking around with a puzel on his back. Fun words - serves the purpose and that is why I wash a quilt first. Edie
Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 AM

I always pre-wash my fabric. Just take it to the laundry room as I come home from the store. So I don't feel a need to wash a quilt after it's done. The only time might be if a pet decides to sleep on it while it's in progress.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:38 AM

When I think of a quilt, I think of warm, cuddly, and inviting...something that's meant to be loved and snuggled. I have only gifted a few small throws, but they were all laundered to give them the crinkly softness that quilts require in my mind.

I would feel weird giving someone a quilt that looked or felt less than soft or even stiff. That doesn't seem inviting to me at all.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:47 AM

Yes I do wash it before I give it. I launder with Quilt Soap and usually include a bottle of it as a gift. I like the "crinkly" look of a quilt, plus makes it softer.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:48 AM

I wash so that it will be fresh and clean before I give it. Sometimes I get something on them when quilting. I love the way they look once they have been washed.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:08 AM

Bed quilts and lap quilts, always. Wall hanging or art pieces never. The MAIN reason is I've usually BLED on the quilt somewhere and even though I've "saliva'd" it ckean, I KNOW. Damn those pins!!
MaryKatherine
Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 AM

YES!!!!!!! I figure that if there are going to be any seams that losen or bleeding I want it to be done while I still have it. I would be so embarrassed to give someone a quilt and then have even one lose thread after they washed it.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:27 AM

I always prewash all of my fabrics to memove chemicals and very seldom wash a funished quilt we don't smoke or have pets so no problem there but I never really wash my quilts as they do not get dirty I soak them in warm water with orvis soap then spin the water out of them do the same with the rinse water then maybe just a short time in the dryer on fluff then lay them flat until they are dry I was given this method years ago and my 25 and 30 year old quilts still look new
Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 AM

So far I've not washed mine - I do prewash fabric before I put it in my stash. After reading the posts here, I'm going to rethink my position on what to do.